2 Old Duns, 1 Pete Resto Project (Ahi Ka-Humblepipe Collab)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Great looking Pipes!
The "STAR" stamp shows up on a LOT of the old Dunhills sold in Paris............ I still have no idea what the star signified, but in my time of research, 70-80% of the star stamped pipes came from the Paris Dunhill store........

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
That 36 is such a nice piece that I came back to look at it some more. :)

And the longer I did the crazier the smooth rim made me.

So, I went back through my own projects thinking I'd done a full-on explanation & demo of the rim "re-sandblasting" process using hand tools, and sure enough there was. A sweet EC with good bones that cried out to be made young again.

Yay.

(I love it when my brayne remembers something right these days.)

So, here ya go. Your 36 deserves to get ALL the way home...

The explanation:

The demonstration:

George, any chance you can post a link to the brush adaptor you used for finishing (final seconds of 2nd video). Thanks so much!

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
George, any chance you can post a link to the brush adaptor you used for finishing (final seconds of 2nd video). Thanks so much!

I'm afraid I'm confused. Brush adaptor? Final seconds?

Can you freeze the video and take a screenshot?

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Ah. That's a 3M Radial Bristle Brush.

They come in diameters from 5/8" to 2", and grits from 36 to 2500.

For sandblast texturing, the 1" in 36 grit followed by the 3/4" in 80 or 120 grit is the ticket.

Stack 4 or 5 of them on the mandrel.

If you are right handed, do NOT mess with them unless you have either a reversible handpiece, or are wearing a full-face mask. If spun up clockwise they will shoot a stream of particles at your face traveling at lightspeed.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA

For sandblast texturing, the 1" in 36 grit followed by the 3/4" in 80 or 120 grit is the ticket.

If you are right handed, do NOT mess with them unless you have either a reversible handpiece, or are wearing a full-face mask. If spun up clockwise they will shoot a stream of particles at your face traveling at lightspeed.

This info is very much appreciated, George. Thanks so much!

Reactions: Toast

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA

George, I am having a difficult time finding the 3M Radial Bristle Brushes online (at least in 36 grit). Where do you normally purchase these? Thanks again!

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Yes. Several tips are needed, but they are inexpensive. The "secret" to removing the hand-cut look of the Dremel marks is by removing their sharp edges with a 3M bristle brush at high speed, "painting" from all directions. That "erodes" everything evenly.

With a bit of practice a 100% can't-tell-it-wasn't-actually-blasted surface is possible.
George, I have recently been using your technique on some old Duns with great success. Thanks so much for unselfishly passing this process along.