2/27/21: So You Think You Wanna Take on Pipe Repair & Restoration?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I’m a duffer when it comes to pipe fixing. The extent of my skills comes down to cotton alcohol treatments & micro-mesh pad sanding. However, I definitely appreciate what goes into a professional repair & restoration.

The other day I was smoking a bowl of Mac Baren Burley London Blend whilst cruising YouTube. I came across High Grade Pipe Repair & Restoration. If you’re not familiar, these presentations are put together by George Dilbos. I didn’t know very much about George or his skill prior to this point, other than he was well regarded on the Pipesmagazine.com space. I had heard that he was a straight up mechanic when it came to high end pipe repair, but I was not prepared for the level of detail and craft that went into completing a true restoration project. We aren’t talking about shaping up an old beater, or polishing up a your favorite Peterson. This guy takes on history and brings back to life super collectible and highly prized Dunhills, Barlings, Sasieni & many other sought after pipes that are often close to the century mark or breaterin age.

George has furnished his living room and other parts of his house with everything a pipe repair expert could need and then some. I assume he’s of a mind to better have a tool and not need it, than to need a tool and not have it. Also, when he doesn’t have the exact tool needed for the job...he creates it. George is also careful to explain different techniques and processes that ultimately lead to an indistinguishable repair/restoration from the original particularly when I come to mortise, shank cracks & stem creation.

I’ll likely never attempt what it takes to do what George does. And, he caviates his videos by making sure that folks should know what they are getting themselves into when it comes to a full on restoration and what it takes to complete a project. For some reason I couldn’t stop watching his YouTube presentations. He has a voice that is both instructive and measured as seasoned school master...meaning that you can tell he knows his shit. If you ever have a chance, check out his videos and see what it takes to turn a pipe from a caked up & cracked shell into a shiny, crisp smoking pipe that can be cherished and enjoyed for many years to come. Thanks George!?☕

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
He has a voice that is both instructive and measured as seasoned school master

An interesting and acute observation. George, among many other amazing accomplishments in a long and variegated career, spent time working as a highly successful (and sought after) teacher whose students set new records demonstrating knowledge acquired as a direct result of his innovative techniques.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
George is simply brilliant at his craft. His attention to detail is truly amazing. He doesn't live too far from me and I have seen his work and it is breath taking, A number of people are capable of restoring a pipe to its former luster but damn few (three or four, maybe) can repair a pipe to the level that George can. And when he restores a pipe it will look better than the day it left the carver's or factories hands. Unfortunately George only works on high end pipes nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.