1st Estate Pipe Purchase Has a Demon of a Lakeland Ghost!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

PapeChulo

Lurker
Oct 27, 2020
Cotton balls stuffed into the bowl, drenched in high test everclear and left overnight is the treatment I use on all the estates I have purchased. It has worked well for me but I am not sure if I have ever had one as badly ghosted with Lakeland essence as the one mentioned above. Sorry to hear you are having problems.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Sometimes the S/A treatment works after a few go arounds and sometimes it doesn't. Then you can try a retort flush as well, or send it to Walker Briar for an ozone treatment, or just smoke some OTC Burley blend in it for a while.

But nothing you do to the chamber is going to matter if you haven't THOROUGHLY cleaned out the airway and THOROUGHLY cleaned out the mortise.

But nothing you do to the chamber is going to matter if you haven't THOROUGHLY cleaned out the airway and THOROUGHLY cleaned out the mortise.
I like to take an extra long bristled pipe cleaner that are sold for churchwardens, put some toothpaste on it, remove the stem, and thread it down the draft of the stummel. Then attach one end to a vice or something sturdily fixed. Then holding the pipecleaner out taught, just work the devil out of the pipe, back and forth, turning it as you do. Use a couple of them, maybe soak the last one in some high proof spirits to get rid of any last remaining bit of paste.
Then take some Q-tips and work that mortice over well with some spirits also.

I hope that helps.

ebnash

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2019
Los Gatos, CA
I like to take an extra long bristled pipe cleaner that are sold for churchwardens, put some toothpaste on it, remove the stem, and thread it down the draft of the stummel. Then attach one end to a vice or something sturdily fixed. Then holding the pipecleaner out taught, just work the devil out of the pipe, back and forth, turning it as you do. Use a couple of them, maybe soak the last one in some high proof spirits to get rid of any last remaining bit of paste.
Then take some Q-tips and work that mortice over well with some spirits also.

I hope that helps.
Well, this certainly is a fresh approach, to me. I just received a pouch of Five Brothers and I was just going to tough out some bowls of that stuff to chase it away.

I think the only thing I haven't tried at this point is a retort, mainly because I'm just sick of working on this problem. Might try the toothpaste thing because I have everything here to do that.

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
Alcohol and cotton/ salt for chamber. Retort and or 1million q tips and alcohol for shank. .... retort.. and 500 qtips. I’m a big fan of retort. It works so good. And it’s so easy.

PapeChulo

Lurker
Oct 27, 2020
Sometimes the S/A treatment works after a few go arounds and sometimes it doesn't. Then you can try a retort flush as well, or send it to Walker Briar for an ozone treatment, or just smoke some OTC Burley blend in it for a while.

Yes sir, Just cleaning the bowl will not help if the pipe has been neglected. I have spent hours running bristle pipe cleaners thru filthy stems that seem to never come out clean.

Ziggywm

Can't Leave
Sep 9, 2019
Fargo, ND
Yes sir, Just cleaning the bowl will not help if the pipe has been neglected. I have spent hours running bristle pipe cleaners thru filthy stems that seem to never come out clean.
Maybe you've done this: I would soak the vulculnite bit in 100% grain or wood alcohol with some unsented clorax or oxi-clean added to the alcohol. I think I would use the Oxi. Let it soak for a day or two. This will oxidize the rubber turning it brown like our mouth acids and sunlight do over time. You will have to restore the bit after this is done. I would use tooth paste on a pipe cleaner in a power drill, screw driver or Dremil drill on the end of the pipe cleaner to spin it. Hand power works good too. ?Then you will have to sand the exterior using finer and finer grades up to 1200 or 1500. Then it helps if you rub the bit with pumice mixed in olive oil (or any food grade oil) rubbing it in with a rag. It helps then if you have a buffing wheel with white compound stick which will polish the bit to a high gloss. Concerning the pipe shank I would plug the draft hole at the bottom of the bowl with plumbers putty and fill the shank with Everclear and let it set refilling as needed. When it begins to come clean you can torch the fumes and dampness with a match. This is all extreme stuff, but it sounds like you are at your wits end with this pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.