PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Do bulk flakes come in boxes or bags when purchased in 1lb quantities? Or does it depend on the brand, or the size of the package when it leaves the manufacturer, eg. 1kg box like comoys cask 4 or 5lb box like sutlif 507c??

Sorry for the stupid question, I just have never placed a bulk order in that quantity before.

Chur

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Depends on the brand but something like 507c would most likely come in a bag. But Stokkebye (1.5 pound option) and Mac Baren (1 pound) would come in a box. Not sure about Comoy though.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Depends on the brand but something like 507c would most likely come in a bag. But Stokkebye (1.5 pound option) and Mac Baren (1 pound) would come in a box. Not sure about Comoy though.
Thanks for clarifying that. Can anyone confirm whether 1lb of comoys comes boxed, or only the 1kg?

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Though not included in your question. I love the MacBaren and Stokkeybye boxes and seal them as is in mylar bags.

As my cellar has grown and some stuff goes into long-term storage mylar bags have become my trusted friend.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Though not included in your question. I love the MacBaren and Stokkeybye boxes and seal them as is in mylar bags.

As my cellar has grown and some stuff goes into long-term storage mylar bags have become my trusted friend.
That's a good way of doing it, however, if you split up those large quantities in mylar/small jars, you would have portions aging without interruption, and you can open them one at a time as time goes by. There is nothing wrong with your method, unless uninterrupted aging is of concern to you!

I’m assuming newminster 400 comes in a box too
All of the Newminster I have gotten in 1lb bags in the past was just jumbled up in a bag. I think that the regulations controlling bulks might have changed it for some. Not sure about how Newmister is currently shipped from the factory, but at the moment it is like taming the Wild West. Companies (retailers and manufacturers) are just doing whatever to comply. And, if you order from one company that still has 100lbs of Newminster from 2015, you may get a jumble, but if you order from another, you might get something else.
You'd have to call and talk to them when you place your order, and it just my be that the person you talk to on the phone is in another building or floor and has no idea, pending who you call.

Reactions: Ahi Ka and seanv

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
That's a good way of doing it, however, if you split up those large quantities in mylar/small jars, you would have portions aging without interruption, and you can open them one at a time as time goes by. There is nothing wrong with your method, unless uninterrupted aging is of concern to you!

Very true. I should have included it in my post, but I do just what you've described (split up into small jars) for the first lb. All subsequent lbs get the "stored as is" treatment in mylar bags. I'll eventually hit the "uninterrupted aging" issue, but it will come after 10+ years in storage at the rate I puff and at that point it's less of a concern for me.

At any rate...back to the OP. The lbs of flakes that come in boxes are awesome. Nothing quite like cracking open that initial box and seeing row upon row of delicious flakes lined up in formation! Good stuff.

Reactions: Ahi Ka and gervais

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
I just received a kilo of Comoy's #4. It only comes in a ziplock bag. The flakes are rather thin so they do break up a bit when removed.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Do bulk flakes come in boxes or bags when purchased in 1lb quantities? Or does it depend on the brand, or the size of the package when it leaves the manufacturer, eg. 1kg box like comoys cask 4 or 5lb box like sutlif 507c??

Sorry for the stupid question, I just have never placed a bulk order in that quantity before.

Chur
I’m assuming newminster 400 comes in a box too
Yes, Newminster (made by Mac Baren) 1-lb bulk comes in a zip top bag inside of a sturdy plain white box with a stickers on each side. The 400 came as a nice tightly packed block of flake.

Reactions: spartacus
Status
Not open for further replies.