PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The first 998 on my bench, I thought this was going to be a easy restoration. But, I managed to get the stem firmly stuck in the strummel and it took quite a bit to remove it. I love the older era, more rugged Donegal Rocky rustication and I was pleased to discover the pipe had a 1979 hallmark, the year I graduated from High School - 40 years ago.

I documented the full restoration on the Reborn PIpes blog:

Before:

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019
Beautiful! I'm in the process of restoring a similar-looking 70s 999XL RockyDonegal. I managed to clean the bowl and the band similar to your results. The stem however is still in the works: can't figure how to make it so black and shiny. Also, the draw is restricted. Can't pass a cleaner through a p-lip.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Beautiful! I'm in the process of restoring a similar-looking 70s 999XL RockyDonegal. I managed to clean the bowl and the band similar to your results. The stem however is still in the works: can't figure how to make it so black and shiny. Also, the draw is restricted. Can't pass a cleaner through a p-lip.
600 grit then white diamond then polishing cloth will garner similar results.

Reactions: vates

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I take my stems up to 2,000 then the last two micromesh. I'm fortunate on this stem, it easily passes a pipe cleaner, a bit bonus for a P-lip.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I mean: is there a tried and tested way to easily clean the p-lip. I though maybe some kind of an abrasive string...
I clean/polish a P-lip stem the same way as any other - oxyclean solution soak if it is oxidized (this one was not, so not done in this case) Bristle cleaner dipped in alcohol, inserted until it comes out clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.