PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I rehyrated the driest tin of Mr Alfred's Own with misting. Otherwise, in my experience, it stays kind of hard if rehyrated more gently when it's this dry.I'm sure it will improve after stabilizing and perhaps even drying back down just a bit. It's burning well with no off flavors. Quite mild, but I do detect the cigar leaf. If this is the baseline worst that I can expect, it's a win! The sealed 965 was quite delicious.
I expect that only a few tins will meet pipestud's rigorous standards, but my CPCC brethren will be getting a chance to taste the originals from the sealed, if cosmetically flawed tins.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Try wetting some unglazed clay plant pots (broken pieces) with distilled water...dry off the surface water and put the clay pieces in a jar with the tobacco. Will re-hydrate without a chance of mold. Might even try it by putting the clay pieces in the tins and resealing the tins as best as possible. I've found it better than damp cloth.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Thanks for the suggestion pepesdad1.
Anyone know what these punched codes mean?
IMG_20180820_002026-X3.jpg

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
That's really cool! I'm glad to hear you reserved at least a couple of tins for yourself. I'm curious whether their value will significantly increase once Dunhill tobacco is off the market for good.

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
I like the clay pot rehydration idea , I soaked a few chunks of white oak in bourbon sealed in a jar , the wood drank down all the bourbon like a sponge , not unlike my old girlfriend
Anyhoo , seal the bourbon soaked oak in a jar with the dry tobacco , or use water I suppose

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Lucky man, very lucky. I will probably have wet dreams tonight about that Royal Yacht tin :lol: By the way, the tins back then looked so much nicer than the ones today, sturdier too.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The adventure is worth the price. I'd expect the Latakia to be thoroughly faded, or to fade promptly once opened, but this is never predictable. If you encounter some leaf magnificently aged, give us a review on it. Few are in a position to compare.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Hello craiginthecorn, just curious but I'd guess that you have lots of data about the weight of the tins and the condition of their contents. I came across a Dunhill era (late 70s I guess) tin and was wondering what shape it's in. I can't open it by hand and yet it's making somewhat of a sound when I shake it.
What total weight would you say is a good indicator that it's retained its humidity? Thanks!!!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You'd have to know the weight of the tin to be accurate, and I've often wondered what really desiccated tobacco weighs vs. that with the right moisture. I don't think it's much.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
The real stuff ... by appointment to Her Majesty the Queen suppliers of smokers' requisites ...
Great find! :clap:

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Well I heard from someone that the tins from that era were supposed to weigh exactly 110 grams. Tin, and moist tobacco. So if you have a tin that's a few grams off (the weight of the water content) it's likely dried out. That's just what I heard but .... i''d like to know if that is reliable since the internet doesn't seem to turn up any information. If the original poster kept records, he's my best (most scientifically reliable) bet!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, that's true, but I've not seen any corroboration of that, nor the amount of weight lost due to evaporation. If the tin rattles when shaken, you got some dry stuff in there.
If you find out how much water is involved, please post!

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
if craiginthecorn "I'll be weighing and shaking each tin soon" as he said above, he's the man in the know! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.