PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stemandbriar

Lurker
Sep 27, 2012
Oak Creek, WI
Thought I would show off a new arrival.

A new addition to my collection. Can't wait to smoke it!

dsc_0047-600x401.jpg

1969 Meerschaum Dunhill.

Amber Stem.

Rather large 18k Gold mount

Presented as a gift of service from APPA.

stemandbriar

Lurker
Sep 27, 2012
Oak Creek, WI
It made it's way to me through the family of the man that worked there.

All my company gives out is $5 lunch vouchers.... Maybe I should convince them that Dunhill's make better gifts :)

stemandbriar

Lurker
Sep 27, 2012
Oak Creek, WI
Also. I do have a question on it. Where does one set a value? Either resale or insurance.

In my case. Insurance.
I have NEVER seen one. The gentleman that I received it from carried it for 30 years without ever seeing one.
Just based on the materials alone.... almost a 5th of an ounce of 18K gold and a rather large amber stem.

I feel rather fortunate it was not field stripped for cash value years ago.

All that, plus being a Dunhill.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I've seen Dunhill meerschaums before (I'll have to find a pic/link), but they all appeared to have been sold by Dunhill, not actually made by them. At least there weren't any markings on the pipe that indicated Dunhill manufacture, just on the case. Are there markings on this one? Any on the band? White dot on the stem?
Regardless, it's a great looking pipe.
Here's one: http://www.vtpipes.com/specialcollection.html
D-122.jpg

stemandbriar

Lurker
Sep 27, 2012
Oak Creek, WI
No specific markings or dots. Not sure you would want to put a dot on an amber stem.

There are some very small letters on the band, I believe an L and n R. Very hard to see with a loop
I received a rather detailed and lengthy story about the previous owner. Part of what caused me the raise and eyebrow on this one.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Part of what caused me the raise and eyebrow on this one

Yeah, You never know. If it's not married it could be a nice pipe sold in Dunhill shops. I've seen over a hundred Dunhill meers including mine and a figural I saw last weekend at the WCPS I've never seen a Dunhill meer without a Dunhill White Spot stem. 8O

Status
Not open for further replies.