PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Covington, Louisiana
postimg.cc
I picked up this little Barling (no S!) Sandblast on Ebay, mostly because of the hallmarked end cap.
It appears to be a lowercase "k" from 1965.
I suppose this would be a Transition era pipe?
There is a faint Barlings Cross stem stamp.
I found no reference to a five-digit shape number on the Barlings Pipepedia page, this one stamped 56375
It didn't garner much interest and went sold for a modest price

Barlings_1965_Before (6).jpg

The rest of the pipe, it should be an easy restoration.

Barlings_1965_Sandblast_Before (1).jpgBarlings_1965_Sandblast_Before (2).jpgBarlings_1965_Sandblast_Before (3).jpgBarlings_1965_Sandblast_Before (4).jpgBarlings_1965_Before (5).jpg

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Barling in script with the TVF. I think the corporate era began with them no longer using the TVF stamp, but then coming back to it after a couple years. 1965 fits into that narrative. I just got a similarly aged Barling myself and was re-reading the Pipedia entry.

Edit: regarding the shape number I recall reading where they started putting the size (group number) as the first digit. Don't recall if that counted as a fifth digit.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I am sure Jesse will chime in soon,but I seem to remember seeing several army mount hallmarked Barling pipes from this era that had 5 digit numbers.the standard numbers were 4 digits but army mount seem to be 5

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I've dropped the Pre-Transition, Transition, Post-Transition designations because they are inaccurate at best and pointless at worst. The ONLY Barlings that could be identified as "Transition" are the 1962 Barlings that retain the traditional block lettered "Barling's Make" while employing the new model numbering system - four digits with the first digit ranging from 2 to 6. Imperial took over Barlings from Finlay's in February 1963 when it exercised it's option to take over Finlay, so the 1968 year that comes from Hacker is incorrect.
Finlay's bought B Barling and Sons from the family in October of 1960, but didn't change the nomenclature until 1962, so there are about 14 months of "Transition" Barlings that are indistinguishable from "Pre-Transition" Barlings because the nomenclature is the same. Also, the family was retained by Finlay's to run the company until 1962. So the "transition" era is mostly useless as a designation.
Finlay introduced new lines and a changed nomenclature in late 1962 and that nomenclature remained fairly consistent till the mid 1970's. Again, it's almost impossible to tell the difference between a "Transition" and a "Post Transition" pipe by looking at it. People continue to use these terms because of habit or ignorance, and most of the time, use them incorrectly.
I dropped them and use Family Era and Corporate Era because it's more accurate and factually correct.
Your 1965 Barling is Corporate Era, or if you feel more comfortable, "Post-Transition".

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Covington, Louisiana
postimg.cc
I've dropped the Pre-Transition, Transition, Post-Transition designations because they are inaccurate at best and pointless at worst. The ONLY Barlings that could be identified as "Transition" are the 1962 Barlings that retain the traditional block lettered "Barling's Make" while employing the new model numbering system - four digits with the first digit ranging from 2 to 6. Imperial took over Barlings from Finlay's in February 1963 when it exercised it's option to take over Finlay, so the 1968 year that comes from Hacker is incorrect.
Finlay's bought B Barling and Sons from the family in October of 1960, but didn't change the nomenclature until 1962, so there are about 14 months of "Transition" Barlings that are indistinguishable from "Pre-Transition" Barlings because the nomenclature is the same. Also, the family was retained by Finlay's to run the company until 1962. So the "transition" era is mostly useless as a designation.
Finlay introduced new lines and a changed nomenclature in late 1962 and that nomenclature remained fairly consistent till the mid 1970's. Again, it's almost impossible to tell the difference between a "Transition" and a "Post Transition" pipe by looking at it. People continue to use these terms because of habit or ignorance, and most of the time, use them incorrectly.
I dropped them and use Family Era and Corporate Era because it's more accurate and factually correct.
Your 1965 Barling is Corporate Era, or if you feel more comfortable, "Post-Transition".
Thanks Jesse. I understand the blurred lineage. I'm certain the date code is 1965, so that serves my purpose on dating the pipe. I'll have to show the tenon when I'm done with it, for a military stem, it is nicely detailed.
Man, getting the oxidation off the stamped Barling Cross is a SOB. (I tossed my last Magic Eraser, my go-to for stamps)

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Jesse, you almost sound curmudgeonly. I like it.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Jesse, you almost sound curmudgeonly. I like it.

Jesse is coming around in that regard.

The Sensitive Artiste ecosystem he's lived in since forever---remember the movie TRON? Jeff Bridges was like college age, right? Well, Jesse did the FX---is soon to be in his rearview mirror. Meaning finally telling shit like it is after fifty years of HOD (Hollywood Obligated Delicatespeak) is something he finds refreshing.

As do I. puffy

Screen Shot 2023-05-24 at 7.20.18 PM.png

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Jesse is coming around in that regard.

The Sensitive Artiste ecosystem he's lived in since forever---remember the movie TRON? Jeff Bridges was like college age, right? Well, Jesse did the FX---is soon to be in his rearview mirror. Meaning finally telling shit like it is after fifty years of HOD (Hollywood Obligated Delicatespeak) is something he finds refreshing.

As do I. puffy

View attachment 223755
I've always been politically incorrect, always told it like I see it. There were a few times where that got me into trouble, but generally my bucking the "system" had to do with getting people recognition for their contributions. Some of my confreres at the supervisory or directorial level gave me some grief for "rocking the boat" and it did affect my career at times, but I still have no regrets.
I'm perhaps a bit less tolerant and a bit more blunt when confronted with a fool, and less inclined to suffer them because I'm aware that I have less time on the planet, period. Time's more precious. That's the freeing thing about getting older.
Make no mistake, I can be diplomatic when a situation calls for it, but when that fails, I will be pretty direct.
Fortunately, the people I'm working with are a tolerant bunch, and appreciate what I bring to the table, so it's been smooth sailing for the last few years of this quite minor career.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Covington, Louisiana
postimg.cc
I finished the pipe this evening. I'll break her in on the holiday weekend. Thanks for the input and comments!

Full pictures are at the Reborn Pipes site:

Barling_Sandblast_65_FIN (2).jpgBarling_Sandblast_65_FIN (3).jpgBarling_Sandblast_65_FIN (4).jpgBarling_Sandblast_65_FIN (5).jpgBarling_Sandblast_65_FIN (6).jpgBarling_Sandblast_65_FIN (7).jpgBarling_Sandblast_65_FIN (8).jpgBarling_Sandblast_65_FIN (9).jpg
Barling_Sandblast_65_FIN (12).jpg

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
I finished the pipe this evening. I'll break her in on the holiday weekend. Thanks for the input and comments!

Full pictures are at the Reborn Pipes site:

View attachment 223975View attachment 223976View attachment 223977View attachment 223978View attachment 223979View attachment 223980View attachment 223981View attachment 223982
View attachment 223983
Looks great. That's a fine looking pipe

Reactions: newbroom

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I forgot to include a picture of the tenon. This thing is also drilled perfectly, a cleaner glides easily to the bottom of the bowl.

View attachment 224205
Yep. People think that once Imperial took over all of the Barling pipes went to hell. Quality did become more variable, but they were still turning out some excellent pipes. I have a few from this period that are excellent smokers.

Beautiful clean up BTW!

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob