PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'm definitely adding the water and cloth method to my routine. There is some slight darkening around the rim as you can see, but another light pass of micromesh should take care of that.

The cleaned bowl really shows off some wonderful grain. I can see why Comoys are so popular.

Reactions: diamondback

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
While I have no mid-century Comoy pipes laying around, that IS my favorite shape.
You just cannot beat a Dublin with a 1/8 bent stem !!
Cheers buddy!!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I did not know that... although I’ve heard the terms used interchangeably. Kind of like Canadian and Lunberman.
Yep, a Canadian has an oval shank and a tapered stem while the Lumberman has a round shank with a saddle stem.

Here's an example of a zulu and a yachtsman. The zulu has a forward cant with a cylindrical chamber while the yachtsman has no forward cant with a cylindrical chamber.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I own several Comoy’s. With each one the draft is Goldilocks! Am I prejudice towards Comoy? Yes.

Regardless, Mr. Mike, give ‘er a smoke or five before you decide :) (if indeed you’re considering flipping it).

I went mad with PAD over the summer. Really irked the spousal unit. I got a... “talking to,” and “came to reason” but now I see your gorgeous Comoy’s in this shape. My heart beats for it!

No kidding man that’s a true head-turner!

?

Reactions: scloyd

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
No kidding man that’s a true head-turner!
Well if you liked it before, you will love it now.

Not the most flattering lighting or positioning, but it was the best I could do. I think the grain really pops with the 60+ years of grime off there. The stem mystery still remains though. If it is a replacement stem, it must be an older one as there was some oxidation that cropped up when I was cleaning it.

This was a really rewarding cleanup, I think that grain is just fantastic.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It recently occurred to me that the Britannia I have owned and enjoyed for years, which I have always thought of as a bent Dublin because of its ample and decidedly conical bowl, is in fact a fine example of a yacht/zulu. I will now park it in yacht row in the cabinet next to the others which are a Savinelli, a Rossi, and a Chacom.

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
Well if you liked it before, you will love it now.

Not the most flattering lighting or positioning, but it was the best I could do. I think the grain really pops with the 60+ years of grime off there. The stem mystery still remains though. If it is a replacement stem, it must be an older one as there was some oxidation that cropped up when I was cleaning it.

This was a really rewarding cleanup, I think that grain is just fantastic.

View attachment 14817View attachment 14818View attachment 14819View attachment 14820View attachment 14821View attachment 14822
Wow! Is that change on the bowl primarily due to the Murphy's?

Status
Not open for further replies.