PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
How did I do?

With the stamping "Made in London England" the way it is, and the shape number I'm sure this is an older Comoys. I don't know why there is no C in the stem, but I can't believe it is a replacement, it just looks too perfect. But if it were a second, wouldn't the sub-brand be stamped on the pipe somewhere?

In addition to that it is stamped 87 and F.

I found this pipe in very good shape on eBay. The stem has very little oxidation with just some light teeth marks. The fitment of the stem is great, and the bowl looks good with just one minor fill that I can see. The rim is all dirty, but no cracks or anything.

Apologies for the photos, it is going to be a rainy New Years.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That COM is not seen often. From Pipedia:

"Made in London England. This is again stamped in a circle with “Made” at the top, “In” in the middle, and “London” at the bottom, with “England in a straight line beneath the F/B. I believe this stamp was first used in the export drive in the early 1950s, and I have not seen any pre-WW II Comoy’s stamped in this way. "

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
A zulu and a woodstock are the same thing. Looks great! Is the rim charred or is that build-up?

Really? Well I learn something everyday. The rim isn't charred, just buildup.

That COM is not seen often. From Pipedia:

"Made in London England. This is again stamped in a circle with “Made” at the top, “In” in the middle, and “London” at the bottom, with “England in a straight line beneath the F/B. I believe this stamp was first used in the export drive in the early 1950s, and I have not seen any pre-WW II Comoy’s stamped in this way. "

Thanks Al, I thought it was 50s based on that. What do you mean that COM isn't seen often? You mean the specific Made in London England stamp?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Really? Well I learn something everyday. The rim isn't charred, just buildup.

Thanks Al, I thought it was 50s based on that. What do you mean that COM isn't seen often? You mean the specific Made in London England stamp?

Yes, that particular stamp is probably the least common. (and only used for short period it seems, so that makes sense)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's one of my many favorite shapes, and that is an especially nice version in terms of finish and shaping, that gentle but dramatic curve of the shank and stem. The stem is beautiful, so I wouldn't rankle about its being original. I have a zulu/yacht by Savinelli, Rossi, and Chacom, not quite as elegant as this, but good examples of the shape.

Reactions: diamondback

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Is the chamber cylindrical or conical?

cylindrical I'd say

Yes, that particular stamp is probably the least common. (and only used for short period it seems, so that makes sense)

so early 50s for sure Al?

That's one of my many favorite shapes, and that is an especially nice version in terms of finish and shaping, that gentle but dramatic curve of the shank and stem. The stem is beautiful, so I wouldn't rankle about its being original. I have a zulu/yacht by Savinelli, Rossi, and Chacom, not quite as elegant as this, but good examples of the shape.

thanks Tom, the shape looks good to me too. If it isn't the original stem is is almost a perfect match. Although the mystery of the missing C is a strange one.

Thanks guys for all the comments, should be a very nice one when it is all cleaned up.

Reactions: diamondback

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I agree on the stem: if that’s a replacement it’s one hell of a good job.

Though I didn’t see a ‘before’ of the pipe, it looks fabulous! Especially once you get the buildup off. Like @mso489, I love the shape.

Great job! ?

ETA: Oh, lol — ‘how did you do’ on finding that pipe; not spiffing it up? Or you did give it the cool shoeshine (some resto work)?

Honestly if you only bought it and took pics you didn’t do well at all. Next time send me a PM so I can snag the pipe and you’ll have done a perfect job! :LOL:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.