PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Grangerous: The pipe with the pipe cleaner filter is probably made by Briarcraft, and called a Smokemaster, a US pipe maker not made anymore to my knowledge. They came up with that filter system in the late 1930s and had it patented. They were also sold under that name by Dr. Grabow I believe.
As for how I've been using the pipe cleaner after smoking, I usually leave one in the pipe over night, and then wipe out the bowl and set it out to dry another day or two.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Grangerous: The pipe with the pipe cleaner filter is probably made by Briarcraft, and called a Smokemaster, a US pipe maker not made anymore to my knowledge. They came up with that filter system in the late 1930s and had it patented. They were also sold under that name by Dr. Grabow I believe.
As for how I've been using the pipe cleaner after smoking, I usually leave one in the pipe over night, and then wipe out the bowl and set it out to dry another day or two.

Agnosticpipe
Thank you. I’d read an article on stingers and the pipe cleaner type was credited to Field and Stream, but of course, F&S just marketed Pipes they obtained for retail. Your the first to suggest a manufacturer. It’s a good smoking pipe and meer lining gives a ghost free smoke

It is a clever method, using pipe cleaner. Inexpensive and handy, eliminates buying filters.

But I prefer filterless Pipes and I run a pipe cleaner through as needed while I’m smoking.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA

You are correct. Thanks again!
81179A9B-7614-4E85-97F1-67CB52C3B660.jpeg

Reactions: lightmybriar

Lawyer66

Can't Leave
Nov 21, 2020
Grand Cayman
I leave a pipe cleaner in from time to time. Still, I am using cobs and will do so more regularly when I get my briars.

On a comical note, I keep thinking of our forum posts eventually replacing that 1947 pipe magazine issue. With just a few more years packed in ? . Time changes the perspective.

Reactions: Grangerous

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
I always leave a pipe cleaner in. It does seem to soak up oils and tars. I saw that Alfred Sasieni left them in so I started doing it too and really like it. I understand that there are pros and cons (like with anything) but it works for me.

Reactions: Casual

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I leave a pipe cleaner in from time to time. Still, I am using cobs and will do so more regularly when I get my briars.

On a comical note, I keep thinking of our forum posts eventually replacing that 1947 pipe magazine issue. With just a few more years packed in ? . Time changes the perspective.

Does anything or anyone really change over the decades? They’re just like us but without the instant communication.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Wait... oils aren't water soluble... ?
They don’t have to be soluble. You can get butter off a knife by holding it under hot water, and it’s not by creating a solution. The oil becomes less viscous with the heat and can be mechanically washed away by the water or some sort of physical fluffy cleaner thingy.

That is the magic of the ?water flush? cleaning method.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
I run hot tap water through briars for deep cleaning or cleaning up dirty estate pipes, not for everyday cleaning (except for couple old Medico pipes with synthetic stems and aluminum tenons, they get the water often). I use unscented/unflavored plain soap or detergent, and brushes of various sizes.

I usually clean my pipes well with pipe cleaners and q-tips after every smoke, and an occasional quick clean with a pipe cleaner soaked in whatever booze I may be drinking, so they don't need deep cleaning often.

Status
Not open for further replies.