PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Received this from Smokingpipes.com this morning. They had it labeled as a 1950 shape 50. The shape is 507 with a /7 for inner tube size. The patent is 417574 without a /34 with the underlined date code on the patent line instead of the Made in England line indicating a 1940 pipe.

The stem is unusual and is wasp-waisted, but appears to be original in that it is drilled for an inner tube and fits a /7 tube perfectly. It is also buffed down to the point it will need to be replaced. It is in good shape with knock marks on the rim, but there is no spiderwebbing or charring of the huge, shallow chamber.

I've never seen another 507, and google doesn't hit with the shape either. Worthpoint shows one other, a 1938 example with a similar wasp-waisted stem.

The Dunhill pipes I have tend to be unusual, and this is certainly that. Now I need to line up a professional level new stem.

5 new items by Robert Drysdale - https://photos.app.goo.gl/GreioTcCk1QerMHMA

Reactions: SaxonX

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That is a very unsual Dunhill shape, looks magnificent! The button doesn't look too bad to my eye. I prize their thin buttons, so there probably wasn't much meat there to start. We do know a guy who I think would be delighted to re-stem that unusual Dunhill.

Reactions: orlandofurioso