PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2019
Won this small pipe recently on Ebay. Its an unsmoked pipe from 1918. Aproximately group size 2.
This kind of pipe was probably liked by soldiers who fought in the trenches of WW1. A small army mount for a qiick, that you could put into pocket. (But thats my assumption)

Now I am not sure if I should smoke it or not. :D
Usually I stick to the idea, that a pipe is there to be smoked. But an army mount pipe from this time period that is unsmoked is pretty rare. So I am not sure.
What do you guys think?

20210202_130644.jpg

20210202_130602.jpg

20210202_130535.jpg

Last edited:

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I've a BBB Own Make from 1899 that I acquired in Germany. I regularly smoke it. Nice little pipe and I enjoy contemplating its history while I use it. Usually outside on walks with the dogs.

Last edited:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It's really up to you. If you like the idea of owning a vintage pipe in pristine unsmoked condition, enjoy it. Unsmoked pipes from that era are rare. Smoked pipes from that era are not rare.
If you decide thr you want to smoke it, take precautions, like moistening the chamber walls before smoking, smoking super slowly, as in taking a few sips and setting the pipe down to cool before taking a few more sips, for the first half dozen bowls, or coating the interior with a silicate/carbon dust coating to offer some insulation to the wood. Unsmoked century old briars are dry, the exposed wood on the chamber walls will have oxidized, and the bowl will be vulnerable to cracking on the first smoke if you're not careful.

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
To piggyback on Jesse comments, it’s very rare unsmoked. Believe that!! If you do decide to smoke it that will be a expensive smoke, it went from very rare to not so much. And about 1/2 the value goes out the door.

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
20210131_132226.jpg

This was from the "What are you smoking?" thread just a few days back...BBB 1914 silver-mount. I smoke the beejesus out of it...it's great (that's just some tarnish on the silver...shines up fine).

I got it unsmoked. I let it acclimate for a week, hit it with light mineral oil on the outside twice in that time. I ever so lightly moistened the bowl and used a bit of honey to coat for the first smoke. Did I need to do that? Dunno'. But was fine then, and fine now. Smokes great.

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
Don’t get me wrong. I’m not opposed to smoking it. I just wouldn’t smoke it for the sake of smoking it. I have plenty of pipes to choose from and maybe you do to. It’s nice to see a unsmoked original. You get to see it and how it was intended in its original state. That’s rare. But it’s not mine and not my choice, just my opinion.

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
Don’t get me wrong. I’m not opposed to smoking it. I just wouldn’t smoke it for the sake of smoking it. I have plenty of pipes to choose from and maybe you do to. It’s nice to see a unsmoked original. You get to see it and how it was intended in its original state. That’s rare. But it’s not mine and not my choice, just my opinion.

20210205_183139.jpg

MORGAN FREEMAN NARRATOR: "I wish I could tell you that the antique brit-wood pipes sat unmolested on display, and weren't made to smoke 10 Russians and novelty aromatics. I wish I could tell you that.....but Jerseysam's house is no fairy-tale world." ?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
To piggyback on Jesse comments, it’s very rare unsmoked. Believe that!! If you do decide to smoke it that will be a expensive smoke, it went from very rare to not so much. And about 1/2 the value goes out the door.
Correct. Value drops by 50%.
People ask me how I can resist smoking my unsmoked Barling set. Don’t I want to know how they smoke?
I tell them it’s easy. I have plenty of vintage Barlings from that period that I do smoke, so I’m not missing anything. Plus, an unsmoked set from that period is special. Smoked pipes are not, they’re just old pipes.
And in the case of that Barling set, that first match is going to be very expensive.
That said, the calculus is different for different people.

Status
Not open for further replies.