PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
I don’t post a lot of my restoration work to the forum because I don’t want it to become kind of “been there, seen that,” but I just couldn’t let this one pass without showing it off...
For the most part, this old Dunhill was in impressively solid condition when it arrived for some work. As to be expected with a pipe of this age, the stummel had accumulated a few small dings over the years, but the stem had only light tooth chatter and it was mostly free of oxidation. All of the stamping, including the reg. number on the bottom of the stem, was intact and crisp. So it was doubly sad to see that someone had decided to aggressively ream the bowl with a pipe knife and they had carved some sizable gouges into the chamber. To make matters worse, it looked like they had used the same to remove the rim cake, which left it in a similar condition. Here are a few photos of the pipe upon arrival:
MzQurhX.jpg

Cd2FOmu.jpg

iZc8dta.jpg

YJ9PSdG.jpg

DwmwQhA.jpg

xz8aKmK.jpg

ajwP163.jpg

The owner didn’t want the completed pipe to look brand-new. He wanted it to look like a well-loved, 100-year-old pipe that was ready for 100 more. Challenge accepted!

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
The pipe was first reamed and the internals of the stem and stummel were thoroughly cleaned (no ghosts here!). Then, I rebuilt the gouged areas in the chamber with a heat resistant compound. Since old wood is dry and tends to burn more readily than the fresher stuff, I applied an additional layer of thermal insulation over the entire chamber for some extra protection.
Once the chamber was taken care of, something had to be done about the rim. It had to be topped of course, but carefully and judiciously so. It needed to look clean and sturdy, but not so fresh and crisp that it looked out of place in comparison to the rest of the pipe. Above all, of course, the profile of the pipe couldn’t be altered to any appreciable degree. It’s a balancing act and, in the end, I think I found the balance after taking slightly less than 1 mm off. I think the pipe is still probably within production tolerances for the shape and the remaining dings along the outer rim appear appropriate for a pipe of this age.
After that, there was nothing left to do but restain the rim, steam out a few of the surface blemishes, remove some stem scratches, polish, and wax. Here’s the finished pipe:
VP4HTD9.jpg

CSMSriN.jpg

17z2yPU.jpg

36hznVe.jpg

cPYxvJc.jpg

htpgvb7.jpg

2K5VGng.jpg

Aside from being a nice example of an old, Brit-made pipe, there’s some additional history attached to this particular Dunhill. Hopefully, the owner will show up to join in the conversation and share it with the rest of you guys.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Well piffy, it looks like a BEAUTIFUL restoration! Looks like you took it just far enough to make the thing look magnificently restored without going too far in harming the original intent of the pipe!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
"all thats left to do is restain the pipe"
Well, you can restain and you can correctly restain! I think you nailed the latter. That doesn't look like an easy color match.
As for the balancing act, it looks like you counterbalanced perfectly!

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Leaning towards preservation has its rewards ... and here's proof. That pipe looks great, without losing shape or all of its individual "story." Really nice job! :clap:

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
@ssjones -- Thanks, Al. The worst thing about stain matching is that it's never the same twice. So, it's not like you can put a jar of stain labeled "1917 Dunhill Inner Tube" on the shelf and be ready for the next time one shows up. The effects of time and the varying density and porosity of the blocks makes each pipe unique, even though they used the same thing over and over again originally. You have to reinvent the wheel every time.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Beautiful work, it looks like a well loved briar not a new pipe, wonderful. The pipes character and honest wear are intact, very good work.

oldewylie

Lurker
Feb 12, 2017
Anthony,
I must first start by thanking you for your remarkable work in restoring this little piece of history for me. What an excellent job you have done in the resurrection of a pipe that is exactly a century old.
On a stormy winters day here in Southern Ontario, I searched for something to do, somewhere to go with my little one year old daughter. There is a small auction house down the road, they hold an auction every other month, typically selling complete estates from the local area. I figured the auction would be somewhere fun to take her as no doubt she would enjoy the sound of the auctioneer chant and all of the people. Interestingly, I recently learned that the auctioneer chant was developed by Chiswell Dabney Langhorne, in Danville VA, home of the Danville System of selling tobacco and known as the World's Best Tobacco Market WBTM.
Due mostly to the weather I suppose, there wasn't much of a crowd at the auction. I reviewed all of the items and wasn't really interested in too much that was to be sold other than a little lot of 8 old tobacco pipes. Having nothing much better to do and the poor weather I figured I'd hang around with the little one and bid on the pipes if they were a decent price. I'm not an expert or avid pipe smoker, nor did I have any experience with estate pipes. I've smoked a Brigham pipe for about 12 years but not daily, just when the mood would strike or during special events etc. I thought if the pipes were cheap it would be neat to try out some different styles and see how they compared to the Brigham.
Not a soul bid on the pipes, except for me. I purchased all 8 pipes for 2.50$ Canadian each. A total investment of 20$ CDN. I had no idea what I had purchased but I was happy to have "won" the one man bidding war!
I went home and joined a pipe forum, posted photos and info on the makers marks found on the pipes and waited. It didn't take long before it became evident I had won not just the auction but a metaphorical, estate pipe lottery. Pictured above is the pièce de résistance of the lot.
It is important to note that at the auction, there was several pieces of World War 1 artifacts including, photographs, uniform parts and other paraphernalia. Since purchasing the pipes I have gone back to the auction house and was able to confirm the owner of the pipes was in fact a military member. Many of you reading this will be familiar with the Dunhill brand, and the history of the company gifting pipes to officers of the commonwealth during The Great War, while serving in overseas deployment. Although I have not been able to 100 percent verify the previous owner fought in WWI, based on the evidence of photos and talking with the auction house I am fairly certain he did. If things are as they appear, this pipe, owned by a Canadian Officer likely saw action during The Great War.
To add to this story, the pipe is dated to 1917, I purchased it exactly 100 years after it's creation and I too am a member of the Canadian Armed Forces. This pipe returned to me from Anthony in Danville VA, just a few days ago, after he completed his expert restoration work. Today marks the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge in France. The victory at Vimy was a defining moment for Canada and sadly many brave, young soldiers paid the ultimate sacrifice. 3598 Canadians were killed, another 7000 wounded in a period of only 4 days.

I will never know the full history of this pipe, and that's ok. What I do know, is that I'm incredibly lucky to be it's owner. Yes, this pipe is worth money, but to me, it's priceless. The historic value is more important to me and I'm thrilled I was able to find someone like Anthony that was able to give it the love and makeover it desperately needed. I've been a soldier for 11 years now and having served in Afghanistan, I have an appreciation for "the little things" soldiers cherish and carry with them to keep "home" close to the heart. Often smoke breaks are venues for both careless and heavy conversations for commrades to get things off one's chest. Given the age of this pipe and it's heavily smoked condition when found, it's safe to say it was well enjoyed for many years and provided distraction and comfort for the man that carried it. Now back in my possession, it will again be cherished and used with respect for both the pipe and the man who once owned it.
Tonight on the anniversary of VImy, a battle that defined a small nation exactly 100 years ago, I am honoured to smoke from this pipe and remember those that have gone before.
Lest we forget.

Jun 27, 2016
Very nice! The stem came out looking like new, and the damage on the rim now looks like it might have been there naturally. Of course the pipe would not have left the factory if so, but it works at this point. What did you use for the bowl chamber coating? :puffpipe:

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Anthony and I discussed this project at length over the phone several weeks ago. Besides "tools & tech" stuff, it gave me an opportunity to get a feel for how he approaches things, his experience in related areas, and so forth. Also---and not unimportantly with so many people test-driving the repair biz and quitting once they discover how brutally unforgiving it is---it gave me a feel for his commitment. "Intestinal fortitude" so to speak.
I'll just say that I came away favorably impressed on all counts. I've been at this long enough to have encountered and/or been approached by many people who fell in love with the IDEA of being a high-level restorer/repairman, but in the end that's all it was. That's not the case here, I don't think. In the raw material sense, Anthony is the Real Deal. The talent is there. Tool acquisition/access, available personal time, and plain old experience are the only limiting factors I see.
I can't begin to describe how happy this makes me for our hobby.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Another top notch save Anthony. Btw if you posted every resto, it still wouldn't be old news. I love seeing your resto blogs.
You make it look easy. But I know just how difficult it is to match a stain after rim repairs. There are so many variables involved.
With every Tom Dick and Harry trying their hand at restorations, a true pro like yourself stands out. It's sad but shiny sells on ebay. A heavy hand and buffing wheel seems to be the norm nowadays. I went a little overboard when I first started too. Now preservation comes first. I've learned to appreciate the minor imperfections of an antique. A 100 year old pipe should have some patina.
Beautiful work. Keep em coming. I always enjoy seeing your posts.

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
@oldewylie -- Thanks for sharing that backstory. On its own, that pipe has an important connection to pipe history, but with the added detail it's easy to see the connection to a much larger story. I'm very glad that you're happy with the results and I hope I've made that bygone soldier proud as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.