PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I'm posting this here because I don't think it really fits in the "Pipe Talk" category.

One of my sisters found this interesting pipe in an antique shop. Unfortunately, the shop owner was removing the $24.99 price tag because someone he knows told him it was worth way more than $25. My sister sent my the photos and asked me to call the owner.
I'm not an antique dealer. I'm not an antique pipe collector (though I have stayed in a Holiday Inn Express). But, I do have an interest in old meerschaums and estate pipes. I looked through two of Ben Rapaports' antique pipe books and I think it dates back as far as 1850. Has anyone seen one like this? Also, can anyone identify the language on the cap?
Myrt_062420_A.jpg
Myrt_062420_B.jpg
Myrt_062420_c.jpg
Myrt_062420_D.jpg

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I'll need to take a closer look from the computer but I seem to make out "konge" which is Norwegian. It might be shared with other Scandinavian languages. I'll have a look and maybe use some image processing software to discern the letters a little more closely.

Reactions: pitchfork

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I'll need to take a closer look from the computer but I seem to make out "konge" which is Norwegian. It might be shared with other Scandinavian languages. I'll have a look and maybe use some image processing software to discern the letters a little more closely.
Thank you.
I'll pass that on.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
This may or may not be relevant. Denmark fougt two wars in the relevant time period.
One from 1848-1850, where they beat Prussia.
One in 1864 where Prussia beat them back.
The pipe looks like it could be a soldiers pipe with a little peptalk engraved, perhaps connected to one of those events.

Reactions: newportpipe

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
They are ok for display but thatis about it...
9TcdggH.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.