PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dethmutt

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2018
I was told to try 1792 here, but it was always out of stock. I was lucky enough to score a couple tins last week, and WOW.. this stuff is amazing.. Smells like awesome Texas BBQ when you crack the tin. Very moist, so I dried it for an hour and still had trouble lighting it. but damn. once lit it rewards!!!
Im not sure how to describe it. for me, its definitely "iconic" as in it has a flavor like no other. The way Nightcap is unique in its profile.
Once you get it going it rewards you with a creamy full smoke. I tend to puff too hard and often, but it didn't bite, hell it didn't even get hot. (rolled a flake into a Nording Valhalla 6 series) When pushed very hard it still smoked cool but you get a little sour on the backend. but was still yummy... probably the first time I got a head spin from the nic hit.
Flavor only got better the deeper into the bowl. I wish I would have bought more as hard as it is to get a hold of...
Bosun and Ennerdale are still my go to's. but this one def made the rotation. just need to find some more to cellar as the 3 tins aren't going to last long!!!!
Smoke up guys and gals!

dethmutt

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2018
I guess that's the flavor I was trying to explain. /shrug Not sure...But its awesome! lol

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I also tried it for the first time recently. I like it but was disappointed by the nicotine content. It barely even scratches the nic itch for me. Tasty though, that's for sure, and easy to smoke too.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have a big Ben Wade that I smoke it from, and while I love the taste of it, no nic hit.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Finally have some on the way and looking forward to trying it.
Looking for bowl shape recommendations. I have everything from stacks to pots in all different sizes. Of course I’ll most likely dedicate a pipe to this blend if it’s as good as I think it is.
Duane, do you cube cut it like ODF or just rub it out? Of course I’ll try all methods eventually but thinking 1792 is very unique and might require a different approach. Thanks.

oldmansmoking

May 13, 2017
UK
Have to disagree this was very poor tobacco. Did not enjoy it at all.

Smoked the tin eventually but would not buy it again!

Some of the reviews made me wonder if it was the same tobacco I was smoking!

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Need to try this again one of these days. My first attempt ended rather unsuccessfully.

I laid out a flake to dry and ended up over doing it. When I went to stoke my pipe, the flake

was brittle and crumbled into the bowl in little pieces. I didn’t get much flavor at all and the little pieces kept

Plugging my pipe. Making for an unsatisfactory experience.

Next time I’ll lay out a flake for an hour or so and get ‘er lit up.

Mar 29, 2016
SG Cob Plug works better for me. A creamier and more subdued tonquin flavor that melds well with the tobacco. Everything I don't like in 1792 disappears with Cob Plug.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
One of the best flakes available on the market today. You can really taste that old world in each bowl. It’s my favorite breakfast smoke paired with tea or coffee. Glad to hear you’re liking it, it ages really well too!

oldmansmoking

May 13, 2017
UK
I have to be honest it was a waste of my money!

With tobacco so expensive it’s a experiment I don’t want to take again!

I however was totally blown away by Peterson Signiture Flake, and was not expecting it.

But the other Peterson Founders choice (cube cut) was almost as bad as that 1792.

This is why some pipe smokers I know just stick to one or two blends and don’t experiment.

Probably what I will do in the future!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Never tried 1792, but bought some as a gift for a veteran pipe-smoking friend, thinking it would be a special treat. He liked the other blends I sent, but no comment on the 1792. I didn't know it is a famous ghost blend. If you don't mind ghosts, no problem, but otherwise, designate a pipe or pipes.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
It’s definitely a polarizing blend. If one doesn’t think they will like the Tonquin but are interested in the base tobacco’s they should try SG Lakeland Dark, it’s the same blend minus the topping. I was amazed at how different it tasted from 1792, I found enough differences that I could justify stocking both in my cellar, I definitely prefer 1792 Flake but I can understand how some people might not like it but that’s why they came out with Lakland Dark... don’t let the name deceive you.

Sep 18, 2015
I loved it from the very first taste, was lucky enough to stock up awhile back. Even though quite a few folks get a nice nic-kick from it, for me it’s a med-full bodied smoke with a great flavor.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Duane, do you cube cut it like ODF or just rub it out?
Cube cut and gravity filled in this guy. Sometimes in a cob if doing yard work.
004-001-6602.jpg

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
But the other Peterson Founders choice (cube cut) was almost as bad as that 1792.
That was the renamed mango blend that was originally St. Patrick's Day 2015 that some believe was a rebranded Belle Epoque.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I like it. I have always had a pipe designated to it, but I'm considering trying it in one of my allround pipes, just to see how the ghost fares. I must say I like Lakeland Dark at least as well. It's the same blend without the perfume and it's great.

Status
Not open for further replies.