Status
Not open for further replies.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
1792 Small Batch Bourbon:

1792_Small_Batch.jpg

93.7 Proof. This is my regular go to Bourbon for sipping. There are better ones out there but this is $36/bottle locally and I order it for $22/bottle.

Kirkland (Costco) 1792 Small Batch Bourbon:

IMG_20210624_184808190.jpg

92 Proof. Available locally at Costco for $19.99/1 liter bottle. 250 mL more than the producers labeled bottle.

Initial taste and you'll immediately say "definitely the same cinnamon and vanilla in both bottles" but at the same time you'll recognize they're not identical. The Costco version is a little less refined and has a bit more bite. Still excellent for the price. The regular is a bit smoother, sweeter, and fuller bodied. Creamier if you like.

Bottom line:

The standard is a better sipper but the Costco version will be more noticeable in a mixed drink and is still good neat.

If I had to pay $35 for the standard I'd pay a little more for Willet, Eagle Rare, Angel's Envy, or 4 Roses for sipping and the Costco version for mixing.

At an almost identical price I want both.

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
Nice write up. I agree with everything you said. I recently tried Rabbit Hole Dareringer Sherry Cask Bourbon. This might be one I think you would like. We seem to have the same taste.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Nice write up. I agree with everything you said. I recently tried Rabbit Hole Dareringer Sherry Cask Bourbon. This might be one I think you would like. We seem to have the same taste.
I'll look for that one. I love PX Sherry and Scotch finished in a PX cask (rum too). It only makes sense to finish Bourbon the same way.

You might want to try A. Smith Bowman Distillery 'Isaac Bowman' Port Barrel Finished Straight Bourbon. It's on par with Angel's Envy but priced slightly less.

Status
Not open for further replies.