PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Trying my 2nd bowl in another pipe, so far disappointed. Suggestions? Would really like to like this.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Can't help you there. Bought a pound years ago and dragged myself through the pound never to buy it again. :D

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
Smoke it until either you give up on it or acquire a taste for it. It's one of my favorites, but realize that not everyone can like everything. Curious, why would you really like to like something that you don't like?

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
Try drying it and mix it with a Virginia. Something like Louisiana red works well.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
If it were me, I would just cellar it until I had a craving for it. Seems when I get rid of something, the craving comes much sooner. So.... give it away? :crazy:

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Dry it thoroughly and see what it does for you. I gave up on it a while back, too, and have four tins from 2004 just sitting in the cellar.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Try a tall narrow bowl, as soon as I tried 1792 in a pipe like that, which is the best shape for flakes apparently, I really picked up the tonquin bean. It's a very bitter smoke, almost like grapefruit or a strong IPA. When I was smoking it in a meer before trying it in a tall narrow pipe it just tasted like a strong kind of harsh cigar like tobacco.

Curious, why would you really like to like something that you don't like?

Why do kids force themselves to drink beer until they like it? I know I did and now I love it.

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
How are you preparing it? I think I have to completely rub it out to get it to stay lit without overheating it.

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
I completely dry mine out, then rehydrate. Takes a few months but really like it after this process.

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
One of my favorites. I love me some 1792.

I love the flavor, strength, and room note. - Although, another member's wife described the aroma "Hot garbage" which still makes me smile every time I smoke some - so others assessment of room note may be different.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I'll dry it out an try again. Very wet the paper was soaked an heavily stained. Thanks!

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I enjoy the topping and the tobacco as well, but the fire department could use the contents of my tin to extinguish fires.

kiel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2016
I think fresh 1792 isn't that great, but 10 years or so in the cellar and something magical starts to happen.

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
If you are still relatively new to smoking, or new to this genre of blends, then you might want to give it some time. I've found that a lot of times my first try in a genre will not go over well with me. I didn't particularly like Irish Flake (first non-aro) and I disliked the latakia in my first English blend (Frog Morton's Cellar). After giving it a little time though, I developed a real love for these genres.
Now that I'm familiar with a lot of the different styles of tobacco, my first impressions tend to be a little more accurate, though.
I love 1792.

I've often found that if I just set an underwhelming blend aside for a while, I'll often come back to it and enjoy it. But that's not always the case... some blends I simply find boring and I don't force myself to like them, and don't reorder.

Status
Not open for further replies.