PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wade H

Lurker
Jan 13, 2020
Glendale Arizona
I just opened an 8oz mylar package of Esoterica Penzance. I laid away four 8oz sealed mylar packages back in March of 2005. I opened one at five years, another at 10 years, and now this one at 15 years. The last one will be opened at 20 years. These are the original Penzance with Syrian latakia!

I'm smoking the first bowl as I write this review. The slices have survived intact as well as the moisture content. The tray aroma is leather smokiness with subtle notes of sweetness. The slices crumble nicely, but I use the fold and stuff method for Penzance, otherwise it can pack too tightly.

Pipe used is an old Barling rusticated African yellow meerschaum quarter bent Rhodesian with a medium size chamber.

Penzance is a tobacco that needs to be smoked very slowly, it can heat up otherwise and compromise the flavor. First light reveals a subdued, slightly sweet and smoky flavor, that persisted for the first quarter of the bowl. This gradually developed into a delightful incense, and hit nirvana at about the one third mark. The original Penzance is unique, and difficult to thoroughly describe. But flavor is sweet and creamy, with a leathery smokiness. There is a difficult to describe spiciness from the Orientals, as I'm not sure what leaf was used 15 years ago.

The Syrian latakia has mellowed a quite bit, but is still very present. I remember the fresh as having more of a latakia punch than this, but this is somehow better. The Virginia and Orientals have bloomed with age, and this is a far better smoking experience than when it was fresh (though it was extraordinary when fresh).

I'm at the half way mark, this is the best smoke that I ever had in 40 years of pipe smoking! I can't remember ever enjoying a bowl of tobacco as much as I am now. It's a pure joy, and reaffirms why I adore Penzance so much.

I dumped the ash at the 2 thirds mark, and the ash is a white, fine and powdery. The last third of the bowl continues to be totally in the zone, and I just don't want it to end. Oh well, I still have 8oz's minus one bowl to filler up again and again, and......!

So I'm finally finished with the pipe, it lasted about an hour and a half. I write with absolute honesty, that this was the very best smoke that I had ever. Something magical happened to the Penzance between the 10 year mark and now (15 years). The 5 and 10 year old Penzance was incredible, but the 15 year old is in a league all its own. I'm already pondering as to how the next package will be at 20 years. This very well could be the peak of aging benefit for this particular blend. I'd hate to have it dimi

Due to the situation in Syria, it is doubtful that we will ever see Syrian latakia again. The available stockpile was sadly lost in a warehouse fire a few years ago. I'm in possession of the the last pound of the original Penzance that I will probably ever see. It make each pipe full all the more precious. I only wish that I could have have cellared far more than I did. It is what it is, and I'll savor this last pound, and share it with some good friends. You don't hord tobacco this good, I thoroughly intend to enjoy it with my buds! 0320201402.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Here Here!
(Now waiting for Embers to tell us just how atrocious the stuff is. rotf)
Not atrocious, just flat. After a couple of years the Latakia looses its punch. The Virginias and Orientals cone forward and it's no longer bad. My newer stuff mostly got blended with 1-Q and given away.

I found a couple of pounds from 2007 two years ago that was okay.

After smoking these though, Penzance just doesn't compare.

20200320_181941.jpg

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I actually like when the Latakia mellows a bit. I was never fond of Nightcap because the Lat always came across as a bit rough in fresh tins. Might have been the perique though. Never aged any so can't comment on vintage tins. I enjoyed Highlander, just not enough to stockpile.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I actually like when the Latakia mellows a bit. I was never fond of Nightcap because the Lat always came across as a bit rough in fresh tins. Might have been the perique though. Never aged any so can't comment on vintage tins. I enjoyed Highlander, just not enough to stockpile.
That's always been a problem with me. Fresh lat blends Latakia content always overpowers the blend and that's all I taste. It's why I enjoy Black Frigate. Even new, the Latakia is very far in the background and you can still taste the Orientals and Virginias.

Wade H

Lurker
Jan 13, 2020
Glendale Arizona
I find that there is an art to smoking Penzance, and it took me a while to discover it. I really didn't like it the first time I smoked it, but I had bought 8oz's of it so I had to give it a go. For me, it doesn't do well in large chambers. The Barling African Meerschaum pipe I chose to use (the one in the picture) is about the largest chamber that I'll use for Penzance. Very slow smoking gives me the best flavor from Penzance. There is thermo line, that once it's crossed, takes the flavor away. The pipe should never get above slightly warm. If I keep it barely smoldering, the flavor erupts into something extraordinary. Penzance is unforgiving in this regard, a little too hot and it goes flat. It's probably one of the most demanding blends that I smoke, but it's worth it. Every blend has a thermo range where it performs the best, the thermo range of Penzance is quite narrow, at least that's what I've discovered how to get the best performance for me. I also feel the same way about latakia that several people have pointed out. I prefer the latakia to take a backseat, but still be present. I'm not overly fond of latakia bomb blends, I prefer sweetness to be the defining flavor. I am really into VaPer blends, and I keep a sack of St James Parish Perique on hand to add to Sutcliffe 501 Mature Virginia, and to any other blend I have that could be helped out by a dose of Perique.

Last edited:

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Thermo range is a great descriptor. On my second bowl of Pelican today I got distracted by multiple texts I was sending to different folks and I started puffing harder and faster and suddenly it all went to hell. I put the pipe down and let it cool off, then started up again and all was well.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Unless i tell people I'm smoking, they would never know it and just assume I'm chewing on a pipe. No clouds of smoke and my pipes are often cool to the touch when in use.

Reactions: rushx9 and Wade H

Wade H

Lurker
Jan 13, 2020
Glendale Arizona
Great post. Amazing that the slices are still perfectly intact!
Yeah pitchfork, I was pretty surprised too. I gave my brother a bunch of slices, that's why the tray isn't full, they begin full loaded. I'm really liking this particular tray very much. All tobacco is fickle, it seems to do well for some but not others. There are blends I just can't get the hang of, while one of my buddies just adores it. I have some tobacco that performs great only in one pipe, while a different blend is magical in whatever I pack it in (like what they now call 'coger' blends) I have a 100 + year old House Of Lords pipe that is my magic pipe. It's totally sandblasted, has a Canadian Shank and a small billiard bowl, I put a picture of it below. I've read a lot of posts where people are misidentifying them as Sasieni seconds, but that's not the case House Of Lords was owned by the pipe maker Samuel Gordon, between 1910 and 1920, and the brand became Sasieni in 1920 (owned by pipe maker Joel Sasieni). That makes my little Canadian, at the very least) 100 years old. I got it about 20 years ago at an estate sale, from the widow of a dearly departed pipe smoking gentleman. It looked to have been smoked just a few times. The Barling African Meerschaum pipe in the Penzance picture came from that estate sale as well. It also showed only light use. The lady wanted $10 a piece for her husband's pipes,I gave her $30 each and helped her identify and put more realistic prices on the the remaining pipes (the ones that I didn't buy. The old fellow had an eclectic collection of about 30+ pipes, anything from Dr Grabow, Kaywoody, Peterson, Camoy and other mid-priced brands. I was totally unaware of age of the House Of Lords pipe until just recently. The Barling is from the late 60's I believe. He had a set of favorites (heavily used), and many that were barely smoked. 0302201628.jpg

Last edited:

londonbriar

Lurker
Apr 17, 2019
London-ish, UK
Sounds delicious!

In a strange way, the best thing about cellaring is opening a tin or packet of something no-longer available. There is an appreciation that one develops when you know you can't get any more of it - always accompanied by a little regret that you didn't put more aside.

Not atrocious, just flat. After a couple of years the Latakia looses its punch. The Virginias and Orientals cone forward and it's no longer bad. My newer stuff mostly got blended with 1-Q and given away.

Regarding the ageing of latakia, I always find latakia blends to be very very flat when they come out of a long incarceration. They need some time to breathe.

I currently have three aged latakias open - one at 10 years, one at 12 years and one at over 40 years old. The first bowls of each were very disappointing. I fluff them up and put them into a jar with lots of space and a not-particularly-good seal (Douwe Egberts coffee jars are ideal) to let them breathe for a 6 to 8 weeks. Manna.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I know right? Everyone knows you're supposed to mix it with captain black.
Why? I paid less than $30/bag for the stuff, Latakia and vanilla/caramel is amazing together, and I got some Murray's tins for one of the bags. Penzance is okay, but it will never be better than the likes of Balkan Supreme or L.J. Peretti's Royal.

You two are killing me. I'm gonna go lay down in the fetal position for a while...

Reactions: Wade H and logs

smokeyweb

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2013
I’m gonna smoke all my good shit now!!! Hopefully the flavor of Penzance will linger for a few days on the ventilator.

Reactions: Wade H
Status
Not open for further replies.