100 Year Old Gold Block Tin - 4oz Seal Intact (Pic Heavy)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I acquired this super cool 4 oz tine of Gold Block. It is a cutter-top with the paper seal. The can is SOLID with no air holes. I currently have no plans on smoking it, but I'm weak and love ancient baccy!!

You think the FDA is goofy. This a turn of the century pipe tobacco with a fine and warning.... It reads "The retailer or Vendor is required to obliterate the Stamp on Sale before Delivery to the Purchaser Under Penalty of £20.....Not Exceeding Four Ounces.....This package must be sold Entire!!
As you can see the Tax Stamp is still affixed. Yes, I'm a criminal.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Wow! I love that tin. It is politically incorrect today, but progressive compared to some of its contemporaries.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Super cool! I like the writing - Negroh . . . WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Couldn't help it.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Everybody is calm - I'm Black and having fun with it. It is a historic term. I could make your heads explode with the pros and cons of the term, but I won't.
I found a British statute all the way from 1846 discussing the importation of this specific tobacco (the specific use of the term "negrohead" intrigued me as an academic, so I did a little poking around). Pretty neat - dull and boring reading no doubt, but neat to see it from so long ago. Makes the tin even cooler Tim.
https://books.google.com/books?id=wK4uAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA649&lpg=PA649&dq=british+use+of+negrohead&source=bl&ots=tcPEpY5f2f&sig=Y1tYKqgMnN4Xwp3niEocMl_9pc0&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiOk5Cb_erRAhUG9WMKHS62DwMQ6AEIITAC#v=onepage&q=british%20use%20of%20negrohead&f=false

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
All is calm here. I just wanted to eliminate all possibility of my comment being misconstrued.
I didn't start dusting off my dueling pistols, and I doubt woodsroad was, either.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
Wow, thread derailed over an obsolete term. Do y'all giggle when someone mentions Lake Titicaca?
Back to the tobacco. Awesomeness! So many questions on that tin.

From?

How?

How much? (Not trying to offend, just curious)

whitesands77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2016
Denver USA
SUPER COOL! I would crack it and smoke it down... Investing in the memory of the smoke is better than saying you just possessed it. It traveled all this way through time to get in your pipe... :D

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Its an interesting tin. I had not seen the 1/4 Lb tins before, only the 2oz tins which occasionally surface on the market at crazy prices. Thats a very old specimens and it is unusual to see one with its paper wrapper still intact. I saw a cutter top tin of Red Rapparte on Ebay the other day that still had its paper wrapper although I don't know what it finally sold for in the end. I have had quite a few of these tins over the years and most of them have found their way down to Tim as I just don't have the interest or inclination to smoke the damn things!

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Good shite, Tim. Very cool. Lots of history there and I bet that is one tasty tin of baccy.

heimedvw

Lurker
Aug 2, 2015
That's a amazing find. If you to crack it open post more pics. It would be interesting to see one hundred year old tobacco!!

Status
Not open for further replies.