PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ontario

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2011
Kemptville,Ontario,Canada
If you were buying your first decent pipe and 2oz of tobacco what would you buy...I own one old yello bole and smoking borkum riff *gag* so anything would be better.

dd951

Can't Leave
Jun 18, 2010
two or three of our sponsers have

starter kits available, they are a great buy ,

you might want to look at those.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Personally I don't care for cobs or Dr. Grabows, but there are many who do.
You might first look at The Big Three; Peterson, Savinelli, and Stanwell. All are of good quality and have starting price points between $50 and $75.
Other makers that are at least as good as (if not better than)the Big Three are (in no particular order):

- Brebbia

- Chacom

- Johs

- Neerup

- Nording
I did a quick check of some of the site sponsors (smokingpips.com and thebriarpipe.com) and both have a very good selection of almost all of the pipes listed above.
For tobacco, without knowing what you like I'd recommend checking out McClelland, Cornell & Diehl and Hearth & Home. All use the highest quality tobacco for their blends and will have a wide selection of blends/varieties.
Finally, if you're new to the hobby, I'd hold off speculating on estate pipes until you're pretty confident in knowing what you want and what you don't want.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Ontario; with a handle like that, I suspect you may be in Canada. Both Brigham, and their sister line Capri are readily available pretty much everywhere, and smoke wonderfully. The Brigham tobaccos are also excellent (and a standard...they blend for Schefield and Sons), as well as some MacBaren, and some of the McClellands lines are readily available; if you tell us a little more about what you like (flavour wise, are you a cigar or cigarette smoker, etc), we may be able to point you in the right direction. Heck, telling us where you're based out of might even lead you to a tobacconist.

Following that line of thought, ordering from the site sponsors is a good plan, but you should know that tobacco in excess of 200g / $20 CAD will be dung for a 300% duty hit at the border. I tend to keep orders to 6oz bulk or 4oz (100g) tinned, just to be on the safe side.

ontario

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2011
I live about a hour South of Ottawa..I was a cig smoker but got real tired of them...I didnt realize about the shipping cost to here thanks for the heads up.I enjoy the relaxing feeling of pipe smoking and would enjoy it more with a good pipe and better tobacco...my Grandfather smoked Brigham pipes when I was a kid..many many years ago...thanks Folks for all the great info.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I will only buy pipes in a store now. That way I can hold it and see which one speaks to me. I settled on a Butz Choquin straight bulldog. It just fit my hand, and had a nice size bowl. $65 and Mac Baren Royal smokes threw it very nicely!
I think you could find a pipe for under a hundred bucks easily. I saw some nice ones for $80-$100 but this one for $65 just called to me.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I would buy a Stanwell. Tobacco - well - harder to say, but for a beginner I would try to find a fairly laid back, all-day sort of smoke. My first thought is MacBaren, but some folks have real trouble with tongue bite from them. Peterson maybe - I like several of their blends. Maybe Sherlock Holmes or Uni Flake. :puffy:

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
look at this - great deal:
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/vauen/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=84732

ontario

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2011
Thank you all for the info it is very much appreciated..Still not sure what I will get but just wanted to say what a great and helpful group of people you all are..thanks again.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I know a lot of guys won't buy on ebay because they don't know what they are getting but there are some good sellers that you can trust. One is MrJimmy3773. He is a member of the Atlanta Pipe club one of the clubs I go to and he doesn't sell pipes with problems. He wants his customers to know what they are getting and never sells pipes with cracks. And he normally cleans and buffs them before he sells them. I just bought this pipe from him and it is fabulous can't wait to smoke it.

007a4899.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
great-estate-pipes also has some nice pipes for under $100. This lovely Comoy's billiard went for $78 this evening. That or an older Charatan would be the way I'd spend $100.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180760854539?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This Stanwell is really lovely!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXCELLENT-Stanwell-Apache-Danish-Estate-Pipe-GORGEOUS-BRASS-ACCENTS-MUST-SEE-/180764163171?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a16623c63

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
You can get amazing Tom Spanu pipes on ebay for $45-65. Much better than anything you can get for that price. I started with estate pipes and have never regreted it!

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I would also buy a Stanwell and then get some University Flake to go with it.

smokey422

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2011
There have been several good brands mentioned and I will recommend a couple more. Boswell's makes excellent pipes, I've owned three and all have been great smokers. They are hard to come by because they sell out so fast. You might go to their website at boswellpipes.com and get their phone number and call them to see if they have any store pipes available.
The other brand of pipe I will recommend is the Jan Zeman Latitude 41 series of pipes. Jan is a New Zealand carver who puts out a top-notch pipe. I have one of his and it is my favorite pipe in my collection.
As for tobaccos, you can't go wrong with Cornell and Diehl, L.J. Peretti, Pipes and Cigars, Smoking Pipes, Mars Cigars, Boswell's, Pipeworks and Wilke, or McClelland. Try to get at least three different types of tobaccos and that will help you determine which type suits you best. Hope you have many happy years of smoking ahead!
Smokey

ontario

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2011
picked up a corn cob and few ounces of Univerity students blend from pipesand cigars.com

...shipping was painful but what a differents from a yello bole and borkum riff...this is what I thought smoking a pipe should be...I gave my Wife a small list of pipes on you good folks recomadations will be up to her what pipe I get for x-mas...thank you all for the great info.

Status
Not open for further replies.