PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
Just popped open a tin of “Virginia” that’s been aging (well; to be honest, forgotten) in my cellar.

I’ve smoke plenty of “Virginia” over the years, but normally it’s either fresh, or has two years age on it. Anyone that’s smoked this blend knows it has a weird/almost sickly sweet topping. I’d describe it as something akin to tamarind candies you can buy in the Mexican specialty shops.

This tin was markedly different. Upon opening, I got more of a sweet, yet pungent aroma. My best description would be “port-like” minus the alcohol. A matured fruit essence.

The moisture content was spot on. (Luckily the seal held lo these many years. Most of my aged stuff gets sealed in Mylar bags after five or six years of aging, this guy somehow missed that step. Fortunately I’ve another 8 tins which have now been mylared.)

The smoke itself was sublime. Pure, unadulterated Virginia happiness. I wasn’t sure this stuff would age that well; but this stuff is just magical. No relights needed, minimal tamping, this stuff just seems to ignite itself while burning down the bowl. Air pockets/gaps have no detrimental effects. The ember just has a mind of its own.

It was a blustery 35 degrees outside, but the colder weather opened my sinuses significantly to where I could easily appreciate the subtle nuances coming out of the blend. A bit of sweet caramel, a touch of chocolate, that fermented fruit essence. (My sweetie, who only sits with me when I smoke aromatics at Christmas, gladly sat with me. She swore I was smoking a Plum like Aromatic) All weaving in and out throughout the bowl. It burned down to a fine light ash. Just a shade darker than white. I completely lost myself in the moment. Forty five minutes passed by in an instant.

Few blends grab me like this did (Frog Morton Across the Pond, some Murray’s era 965, McClelland Millenium PCCA); it was magnificent discovering this gem. ?Sadly I Didn’t age 20 or 30 tins, so I’ll have to be stingy dipping into this stuff. Truly epic smoke.

And no I won’t reveal which blend it is. I’ll give a few clues.... it’s a Virginia, it’s not American, and it’s only available in tins.
I'll play.
Capstan Blue?

Reactions: FLDRD

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I am not sure the reasoning behind talking about a blend you love and then not naming it. I smoke mostly 10 year and older Virginia Flakes, Vaper Flakes and Vabur Flakes. I post in the what you are smoking thread in case any one gives a crap of what I am smoking and I also enjoy discussing tobacco in the pipe tobacco room.

Now if this is a blend difficult to come by and you don't want to name it in public, I get that. If you are trying to load up on it, I am sure you don't want all the competition that can happen.
I am going to guess Erinmore Flake. It has a unique topping and I guess it is popular as it has been around forever.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon