PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
2v2JaeJ6Wx3L6Bn.jpg
I bought another dozen semi-finished pipes from RnaTreasures on Facebook. These are great, thick-walled Italian briars, appear to be hand cut, but all have some kind of cosmetic flaws to some degree of severity. That's OK, since in lots of ten, they only cost $10 each. The pre-molded stems are all fitted, but not finished (still have the seams and the button isn't shaped). You could smoke them as-is, but the stems might be a bit uncomfortable. I've already hand finished one of the pipes, using just the full range of MicroMesh and elbow grease, and it looks pretty darn nice. I should have started with 120 grit instead of 800, though.
2v2JaemSFx3L6Bn.jpg
So, being the OC type person that I am, I used my 20% off Harbor Freight coupon and went out and got a 1" belt sander and slew of different grit belts. And a lot more MicroMesh. I'm looking forward doing some shaping and smoothing on these pipes. Then maybe move on to trying my hand at freehand on a pre-drilled block.
2v2JaeJ7Sx3L6Bn.jpg

Tula thinks that they need more rustification

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
philo, I enjoy woodworking, have done some sculpting and I'm a tool hound. I enjoy smoking a pipe, and I make my living being a creative type. But there's one problem: I can't keep a straight line to save my life. All of my cameras have grids in the viewfinder to keep me level. I can't park the car square in a space. I own six different carpenter's levels and a three of four bubble levels and have to use them for anything that requires talents that most people have innately.
So, we'll see.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
3M makes a 320 grit sanding sponge that works great on refining pre formed vulcanite stems. Just need to shine and polish afterwards. Makes short work of the flash around the edges though.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The finished one in the pic looks amazing for just hand finishing btw. :clap:

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
I saw those on e-bay and was wondering if they were briar. Good to know they are. They are $15 for one w/ $7 shipping though.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Yup, Jay!

I had the first Mosin-Nagant website, back in the day. Collected like crazy when they were under $35 shipped and little was known here in the US about them.
Duane, I'll pick up a few of those sponges. I hear that the Norton ones are good, too.
Davek, the savings come when you order more than 10. Shipping was $8.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When you get them to that level, the imperfections barely count. It's a good way to get your feet wet, as it were. If you had no pipes, you'd have a complete rotation. Have fun with those, and the emerging tools.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Thanks, MSO. The thought of starting with a block of briar and a file was a bit daunting, so, you are right, it's a good way to start making sawdust. I'll be giving a way some of these to friends at the pipe club.

filmshooter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2017
I've got one - actually a really good pipe. I was eyeing their bulk boxes in too. Also if I got in mosins or k-31's at the right time I'd retire. I know people whose father was an armorer in the army who had racks of garands just sitting for nothing.

leatherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2017
Good luck in your new endeavor! That's a great value and you'll have a sense of pride when you smoke a pipe you've finished yourself :puffy:

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Thanks, everyone. I'm having fun with this! I'll post more pix along the way.
Filmshooter, I wish that I had bought more K-31's when they were $79. But $79 was a bit rich for me when I could buy Finn M-91's for $12 shipped!

jcdemomodels

Lurker
Feb 6, 2018
Jus rechecked and I see that they’re about $15ish for singles, still a great bargain! Following this. Post more as you finish them!

Status
Not open for further replies.