PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
So I decided that I am going to try and stick with a certain pipe for a particular tobacco. A few questions, that I know have been brought up before so please forgive the re-post of these questions. 1) How long or how many bowls will have to be smoked in a given pipe for the flavor to become exclusive (assuming a used pipe)? 2) Do different briar pipes taste different with different tobaccos? In other words, is it possible for a pipe to not smoke well for a given tobacco but that same tobacco tastes different in a different pipe?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
zonomo, after two or three bowls of the same tobacco, I start to notice a difference.
And absolutely do some pipes do better with certain blends and poorly with others. Sometimes you can pinpoint the reason (e.g. too big a bowl with VAs), but a lot of times it's a mystery. One of my favorite pipes (now) was pretty poor with latakia blends and just never much good with VAs, either, but I eventually discovered it brings out the best in burley blends like Wessex Slice, Aged Burley Flake and Stonehaven.
I'm not sure how all of this works out with aromatics, though.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
My Barling smokes aromatics better than any pipe I own. I have a Sav 677 that is dedicated to Old Dublin because it does so well with that blend. And it could be just me and the way that I like things. I recommend picking a blend that you smoke more than any other, and dedicating a pipe to it.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I once had a Dunhill that smoked nothing but Pembroke. After a few bowls the Pembroke started tasting better. It does not take long, especially if the pipe has not been smoked much before hand.
These days, I always start a pipe out with a VAPER and if it does start singing to me within a dozen or so smokes, I switch it off to something else.
I agree with Pitchfork, sometimes why a pipe smokes a certain blend or genre of tobaccos is a mystery.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I also dedicate one blend to one pipe when I find a magical combo. My Lane Era Charatan Dublin smokes SG FVF great so I stick with it. I think it should only take a few bowls like others have mentioned. I recently re worked part of my pipe collection because I had pipes that were too big for flakes. When I smoked English blends I had large pipes because they smoked better than smaller ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.