PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

martiniman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 6, 2012
If i want a short smoke would it be better to have a small bowl or only half pack a normal bowl?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Either works depending on what your smoking. Some guys are pretty specific about what blend goes in to a small bowl and larger one. I, for one, don't care for small bowls.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
I go for "small bowl" since half-packing makes it bitey with my smoking technique. Or load normal bowl, fire up, smoke some, pick the embers, let it go out, smoke the rest later.

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
If you anticipate it's going to be a long term issue of lack of time, I would invest in a smaller pipe. Smoking half bowls often in a pipe could lead to cake issues and charring of the upper half of the bowl. YMMV.

carlosviet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2012
Smaller bowl. I carry for the working day a 18mm inner diameter bowl, for lunch break or to squeeze a coffee. Easier to carry too. Most classic billiards have a bowl of 18mm, even smaller. To me, that's what a Dunhill billiard is for.

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
I've been wondering the same thing lately and afte a while I just figured that I would put the bowl out and save it for later rather then have a hotter smoke.

martiniman

Apr 6, 2012
I also smoke cigars and a relight later results in an awful smoke, still trying to get used to the "pipe" mentality. Is it as simple as letting the bowl burn out, take to top ash off and relighting?

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
@martiniman : Basically yes except that in my experience I found it's better to knock the embers off and make sure it's out. Several times when I just let it go out ( or so I thought ) I came back an hour later to find it had all smoldered off to white ash :|

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
6 of one - half dozen of the other. I believe it is a personal choice. Some ppl don't mind letting a bowl go cold and re-lighting at a later time. I never cared for it. If I don't finish a bowl, I just dump er out and refill when I smoke again. Could be easier on the baccy stash if I could re-cycle but it is just not my game.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I dont like relighting old bowls, they dont taste good to me, ill just smoke a small pipe, or just fill the bowl half way

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I dont like relighting old bowls, they dont taste good to me, ill just smoke a small pipe, or just fill the bowl half way

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I have done all 3. I always have a small bowled pipe for super stout blends that I can't smoke much of at one time and they double as a quick smoke pipe. I have also loaded a half bowl in a larger bowled pipe but I'm not a big fan of it. I never seem to get a proper pack when I try to pack a half bowl. As far as letting a pipe go out and relighting it later, otherwise known as DGT (Delayed Gratification Technique), it depends on the tobacco. I have found that blends containing latakia usually get dirty and harsh at relight, Virginia/perique blends the same, aromatics can go either way, but straight Virginias...I DGT them on purpose sometimes because I love what happens to a Virginia when charred, allowed to sit for 2 - 4 hours or longer and then relit. I never dump ash. I just tamp it down and let it go out. Never had a bowl keep smoking on me. The Virginia go from sweet and spicey to deep, dark, roasted espresso and cocoa.

bailey331

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2012
I dont mind setting a pipe aside for a while if need be. I often knock the ask off the top and run a cleaner down the hole before I leave it. I think it smokes and tastes great upon my return.

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
I often load up a bowl and end up not being able to sit and smoke the whole thing. I just set it down and let it go out then when I get back to it I just relight and smoke away.

Status
Not open for further replies.