PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most families that retain their wealth are stingy as hell. Some self-made millionaires are too, like J. Paul Getty who had a pay phone for his guests to use in his home. But others who find themselves making more money than they ever imagined are struck with an urgency to prove their wealth is real and so are the natural targets for $10,000 suits, $2 million automobiles, and $700 tins of tobacco. There is always a rising class of new rich who think this way, and marketing always puts out the bait and usually finds takers. $2K for a pair of shoes. $30K for a set of golf clubs, and so on. The tobacco is worth what someone will pay.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I hope that SP and IR got those on spec. I'd probably fire the guy who ordered and paid for them. They've had those boxes going on about 2 years.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Most of the wealthy people I know are not stingy. They fund all sorts of community projects from art to battered women's shelters, to little league baseball teams. They do it without fanfare as a social duty. The elder Rockefeller was notoriously parsimonious. In truth he was fairly giving with his wealth.
My own view is that I can't see any return on a $1000 tin of any Larson blend. 3star Blue is my main tobacco of choice. I'll spend moneys for a 100% beaver hat as it will last me thirty years+. A wolf hat in the winter is warmer than any man made product, so I have one. Show me a pair of inexpensive winter boots as warm as mukluks, I'll buy a pair. If I'm gonna spend moneys, I want a return. If I donate moneys I want to see people benefit from such.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
OK, so if I had a lot of money I'd spring for this ultra tobacco. But I don't think so as I've smoked on a budget (in the last year), and I'm good with that. So I'm an educated smoker within the parameters of my experience, which although not expansive, is sufficiently wide; and given what I know, even if I had the money, I'd say no. I'm an educated smoker. If we change the parameters, what if I had money and needed a yacht. Would I give a billion or two to someone I don't know and of whom I have no references as regards his yacht-building ability? No, I've bought too many things not to know that as the cost increases, so too must my research, and that in any case I buy the best product when I've done my homework.
I might go crazy if I were wealthy, but the culture shock of being able to buy a yacht would certainly be less the moe I adhered to prudent spending.
Biggest thing: I ain't giving it away.

I have literally thrown up after signing for each of my houses, and each of my cars, so I know what money is worth. Would I buy a $1000 tobacco? Sure, if it was something I wanted. Would I buy this one? Nah, doesn't sound all that great to me. But, maybe a tin of 20 year old Escudo for $1000, my money would smack the table faster than your eyes could see.
If I ever struck oil in my backyard, I'd be more likely to buy a crate of Dunhills, smoke them once, and toss them out the car window like apple cores, than to just buy any old tobacco with a high price tag.
But something with age, made with something rare like Syrian latakia, or something no longer produced like War Horse... I'd be willing to lay down some big money to try.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think finding something blended just the way you like at more-or-less the going rate is probably as satisfying as pipe smoking is going to get. Beyond that, it's a head trip, and to those who have the desire and the money, is cheap at any price.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Everything about smoking or any other unnecessary vice or purely personal choice, is a "head trip" if I understand your use of the term. totally unnecessary, totally selfish and all about self-satisfaction. There is nothing wrong with that, it's a personal choice. Everyone deserves a wee vice which they can afford.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have literally thrown up after signing for each of my houses, and each of my cars, so I know what money is worth. Would I buy a $1000 tobacco? Sure, if it was something I wanted. Would I buy this one? Nah, doesn't sound all that great to me. But, maybe a tin of 20 year old Escudo for $1000, my money would smack the table faster than your eyes could see.
I have 16 year old Escudo. Can I put you down for $800?

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
If the 15 or so participants on this thread each ponied up $47, it could be divided into parcels of 6.5 grams each...
:puffpipe: :crazy: :nana:
jay-roger.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
$30K for a set of golf clubs, and so on. The tobacco is worth what someone will pay.
But the clubs have $28000 worth of gold inlays! I use the irons for barter. Traded one for a 1955 beaujolais and a tin of tobacco salvaged from The Titanic.
And the rich people I know or have observed aren't stingy, nor profligate, nor out to impress. There seems to be a maxim that the older the money, the more unobtrusive it is. Yes, exceptions on all ends of the spectrum.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Heck yeh, Sable, PayPal? What’s shipping nowadays, about $400?
Heaven forfend! I'm no gouger! Shipping is only $150 for two day priority mail! Shall I put you down for two? You get a discount on shipping. Only $225 and it's still 2 day priority mail, assuming the USPS doesn't lose it.

quint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2017
Well, there are some out there that are paying thousands for a single bottle of whiskey. $100-$200+ a shot. Unless they are mega rich, these people are a little bit nuts. Probably has a lot to do with hype and bragging rights. But to each his own. :?

Status
Not open for further replies.