PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsimonious Piper

Can't Leave
Oct 12, 2019
Picked up a Pipe by Lee bulldog in pretty good condition. The rustication and rim needed a little cleaning with Murphy’s Oil Soap. Otherwise the stummel was in good condition.
Some light chatter on the stem that came out well enough with a light Bic treatment.
As seen in the previous pic and the next, the stem was pretty oxidized, almost obscuring the brass stars. The stinger was also dirty, so I left it on during an OxyClean bath.
After the soak I hit it lightly with wet 220-600 sandpaper, then 1500-12000 micro mesh. Finished the bowl with a drop of olive oil (hat tip RebornPipes) since I didn’t want to wax the rustication, and a touch of Decatur wax on the stem. Still a couple things I may revisit, but for a light cleanup it turned out well. (That’s a lighting artifact on the bit…not a ding or discoloring.)

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
220 sandpaper, hmmm... do many other folks start sanding at such an aggressive grit? I'm just curious. I'm not a restorer at all. So, this isn't a backhanded question.
That's a great question. Was the 220 grit sandpaper used only on the teeth chatter? Or the entire stem? I ask because I've cleaned up a few pipes and I'm always looking for tips and tricks.

Parsimonious Piper

Can't Leave
Oct 12, 2019
That's a great question. Was the 220 grit sandpaper used only on the teeth chatter? Or the entire stem? I ask because I've cleaned up a few pipes and I'm always looking for tips and tricks.

If the oxidation is bad (after scrubbing with paper towels plus the OxyClean soak) I start with a light touch with the 220 grit based on recommendation from Steve at RebornPipes.com, then follow it with 400/600…all wet. For mild oxidation I try a Magic Eraser first and/or skip right to micro mesh.

In this case, the worst of the oxidation was on the tenon end, so I did use the 220 on the whole stem. Had to be very careful not to round any edges or damage the brass star inlays.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
If the oxidation is bad (after scrubbing with paper towels plus the OxyClean soak) I start with a light touch with the 220 grit based on recommendation from Steve at RebornPipes.com, then follow it with 400/600…all wet. For mild oxidation I try a Magic Eraser first and/or skip right to micro mesh.

In this case, the worst of the oxidation was on the tenon end, so I did use the 220 on the whole stem. Had to be very careful not to round any edges or damage the brass star inlays.
Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the response.

Parsimonious Piper

Can't Leave
Oct 12, 2019
Thats a nice pipe and nice resuscitation, idk even know about that brand.

Manufactured from the mid-1940s until somewhere around 1970. There’s very little information about them. What I have been able to find indicates they were very competitive with—and priced the same as—Dunhills and Kaywoodies (which were higher quality pipes then). The 7-pointed brass stars were used until roughly the mid-1950s, when they switched to a 5-point star. They were rated 1-5 stars. I’ve never seen a 1 or a 4, have a couple 2s, a bunch of 3s (one with the original box), and one 5.

All I really know about them based on the ones I have is that from 3 stars up they have nice grain, they’re drilled and shaped very well, and even the 2s are great smokers.

Parsimonious Piper

Can't Leave
Oct 12, 2019
And if anyone has more information, catalogs or adverts, I’d love to know more about them or their seconds lines: Briarlee (or Briar Lee depending on the source) and Gold Coast. I have one Briarlee, but the stamping is such that I can’t tell if it’s one word or two. Lower quality grain, but smokes great.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I personally never go lower than 400.
Nice job not rounding that stem/shank junction!

I never heard of Lee, so I can't help there.

AlabamaDan

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2019
Alabama
I used a worn 220 grit and a light hand on my stem when I started it, then a series if micro mesh grits and it turned out nice. I was nervous at first.

Status
Not open for further replies.