PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsimonious Piper

Can't Leave
Oct 12, 2019
Picked up a Lovat in pretty rough condition. Rim caked over. Let some Murphy’s Oil Soap soak in and scrubbed it off with cotton pads, only to discover the rim was charred underneath. Had to sand it down. Got most of it off, but stopped short because I was running through the stain and wanted to keep it original. There’s still a bit of char on the front of the rim, but short of topping and beveling it, I’m done for now.
In the upper right you can see a crack. It goes all the way through. I worked some super glue into it and sanded it down. I’ll treat the inside of the bowl with JB Weld at some point. The bowl is pretty dinged up. I lifted a couple dents with a wet rag and iron, but the scratches remain. I sanded them lightly, but they‘re still visible.
‘The stem was a wreck. Deep tooth marks that only partially lifted with a Bic treatment, though the lighter chatter came out. When I work through my backlog I’ll come back and fill with black superglue (I’m out). The oxidation looked pretty bad, but most came out with an OxyClean soak, as did the gunk on the threaded tenon. Was able to finish with 600 grit sandpaper and micro mesh.
I polished the bowl with micro mesh to even out the finish, wiped it with a drop of olive oil to pop the grain a bit, then finished with a light waxing and buff with a shoe brush.
So a couple things left undone. With the crack and remaining char, I’ll likely dedicate it to cooler-smoking burley.

Reactions: rogers
Status
Not open for further replies.