PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I gave it a shot, but lost in the final seconds.

I also bid unsuccessfully on that one.
Same but I lost it much, much earlier than you guys!

Reactions: RustiePyles CPG

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
By the way, was I a fool to pass on this pipe at this price? I've been looking for one of these but more specifically a "dreadnought" (diamond shanked) so I decided to pass on it. I then realized that any bent, chubby BBB might not normally be found at this price.

Reactions: sablebrush52

n_irwin

Can't Leave
Apr 15, 2022
Oklahoma, USA
I gave it a shot, but lost in the final seconds.

I think that’s the same seller that a bunch of old pot-shaped pipes for sale, mostly older Barlings

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
By the way, was I a fool to pass on this pipe at this price? I've been looking for one of these but more specifically a "dreadnought" (diamond shanked) so I decided to pass on it. I then realized that any bent, chubby BBB might not normally be found at this price.

Were you a fool to pass on this pipe? Who knows? Old pipes often hide secrets. You ay have dodged a bullet for all you know.
It's a very uncommon year, for some mysterious reason, not many show up from the first decade of the 20th century. It is out of round, which could indicate larger concerns down in the chamber, or be limited to the upper region around the rim. One of those secrets. It's an "OWN MAKE" so BBB made the whole pipe rather than buying a stummel from St Claude, mounting it with a stem, and doing final finishing only.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Were you a fool to pass on this pipe? Who knows? Old pipes often hide secrets. You ay have dodged a bullet for all you know.
It's a very uncommon year, for some mysterious reason, not many show up from the first decade of the 20th century. It is out of round, which could indicate larger concerns down in the chamber, or be limited to the upper region around the rim. One of those secrets. It's an "OWN MAKE" so BBB made the whole pipe rather than buying a stummel from St Claude, mounting it with a stem, and doing final finishing only.
Ah good to know on all fronts. I didn't know about "OWN MAKE" markings. I’ll definitely be looking for that if I can eventually chase down a dreadnought.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I haven't seen an Upshall XX come up for sale in some time, And an unsmoked one at that. This hung out in the low 300's for the last few days, and the last minute bidders bumped it up a couple hundred bucks.

All in all a fair price for am Upshall XX. I;ve imposed a moratorium on my pipe buying for 2023... Had this been a biliard shape I would've been awfully tempted.

Upshall XX

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc

That ebay seller is a member here.