PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
Just ordered a Missouri Meerschaum Cobbit Elf Corn Cob Pipe. This will be my first cob pipe. Anyone familiar with this model? Any pointers for using a cob pipe? Do’s/Don’ts?

Attachments

• 1E68D540-2E24-4EEC-9A14-6D84F0A56F8B.png
    1E68D540-2E24-4EEC-9A14-6D84F0A56F8B.png
    50.9 KB · Views: 3
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Do smoke it. Don't fret over it.

Cobs are great smokers with very open draws (which I enjoy). They can last a lifetime, but are cheap enough not to mind if it gets lost or damaged.

Some keep them as test pipes for new blends, others dedicate cobs to a particular blend so not to ghost briefs (and burley tends to shine in cobs for some reason).

I have a 5th Avenue as a travel pipe, which I don't mind losing if chasing after my daughter. I also have a Charles Towne Cobbler, which is a collaboration with C&D and has an acrylic stem. While I enjoy both, the 5th Avenue edges out the Cobbler and I don't really know why.

Enjoy

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Then when you work it out you wonder why you were ever trying so hard.
Yup. It's like learning to ride a bicycle.
You keep falling off at first.
Then one day when you get going, you're going to think
"Well, that wasn't too hard"

Don't overthink.
Get your tobacco nice and dry.
Pack loosely.
Tamp lightly.
Don't fret about relights and dottle.
If your pipe gurgles. Pipe cleaners are cheap.
And sip, don't puff like a Choo-choo train
Fine, white ash is an exception rather than the rule.

Enjoy your new cob

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I've never had a bad pipe from Missouri Meerschaum I have six of them currently.

By the way, the Cobbit Elf is part of the Lord of the Rings series of churchwarden pipes made by Missouri Meerschaum. They also have a Dwarf, a Wizard and The Shire models.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I love my cobs, as well as my briars.
The other advice you have been given here is sound. Load it, smoke it, don't overthink it.
The last time I re-read LotR, I smoked Capstan Original Flake (Tolkien's primary smoke) in a Cobbit Dwarf. Carefully packed, I'd get 45-60 minutes from a bowl.