Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ever since I've been on Forums, I knew Harris had serious health problems. For all that, he always seemed to feel like, and sound like, he was much younger than he was. He was full of verve and enthusiasm. That's another good life lesson he left behind.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Mark mentioning that Harris died in his sleep made me think of The Gambler by Kenny Rogers.

Every gambler knows
That the secret to survivin'
Is knowin' what to throw away
And knowin' what to keep.
'Cause every hand's a winner,
And every hand's a loser,
And the best that you can hope for
Is to die in your sleep

I always thought the signature quote on his posts was pretty cool.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S Thompson

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Sad. I never really interacted with him much on here, but I enjoyed his posts, especially when they were big long stories about hustling cars or managing some other business. He's one of the people here for whom I have a definite mental image, I could just picture him in my mind's eye, just through his stories and humor.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
While I know this is a solemn gathering I have to put this out there.
I blame Harris for my Rad Davis addiction.
When he first began lauding Rad Davis as an exceptional pipe maker I was skeptical at first until I commissioned the first of what would come to be 3 pipes and then grew to 18(thanks to estates).
Harris had a keen ability to find those pipes makers that created pipes that were not only functional but an exceptional work of art.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
When he first began lauding Rad Davis as an exceptional pipe maker I was skeptical at first until I commissioned the first of what would come to be 3 pipes and then grew to 18(thanks to estates).
Harris had a keen ability to find those pipes makers that created pipes that were not only functional but an exceptional work of art.

Harris posted in 2015... :)

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
He lived the quote that came up below all his posts in recent years. I think he would be happy to have passed when he did, while he still had most of his mental sharpness, and in his sleep no less.

He will be missed. But I think he passed in the best possible circumstances he could have hoped for. He was granted that one last blessing on the way out.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Harris was "The Master" at infecting other people with his PAD. And TAD. LOL He got me on Rad as well. Also Howell. And many from his Virginia list. And I'm extremely happy he did. Harris knew his cigar, pipes and tobacco. Our tastes were so similar it was scary. Only real difference is he got bad tongue bite from Red Virginias.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I received an email this morning from Gabriella Englander - Harris Englander's daughter, and she informed me that her father had died on November 30th. Known on this forum as Cigarmaster, Harris was a regular poster and I am sure that most of you knew him as his posts were always, well, different and entertaining.

Thoughts and prayers for his family,

Steve