PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JSPiper71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
Are any of you handsome and powerful men willing to help me smuggle a couple tins of the Cringle Flake behind the iron curtain to the PRW (Washington)? The retailers will not ship here.

I bought one tin last week at the one one remaining B&M and it is quite good but at 37.00 per tin it chaps my ass considerably…
starting to sound like Canada down there. Buy now, it's only going to get worse. My retailer called saying he was bringing Cringle in and it would be $80 CAD!!! I'm going to buy a tin just to support, but their plan to shut down the industry by pricing the hell out of it is working. What more, we now have plain packaging rules, so the tins look like a flattened pile of cow shit.

PennyStonks

Can't Leave
Nov 22, 2022
starting to sound like Canada down there. Buy now, it's only going to get worse. My retailer called saying he was bringing Cringle in and it would be $80 CAD!!! I'm going to buy a tin just to support, but their plan to shut down the industry by pricing the hell out of it is working. What more, we now have plain packaging rules, so the tins look like a flattened pile of cow shit.
$80 CAD is $15 USD so it’s about the same?

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
I rarely buy tins anymore, but I snagged one to see if all the fuss is worth a fig. I'll probably open it in 5 to 10 years and let you know what I think.

If it gets stopped at the border it will probably cost me about $65 Canadian all in.

Reactions: beargreasediet

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I rarely buy tins anymore, but I snagged one to see if all the fuss is worth a fig. I'll probably open it in 5 to 10 years and let you know what I think.

If it gets stopped at the border it will probably cost me about $65 Canadian all in.
Is shipping tobacco from U.S. to Canada an issue from one regular folk to another?

briarfoxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 28, 2021
Tennessee
It's very similar to 2021, so you may want to wait 6 months before trying it. The difference with the 2021 between fresh release and 6 months was huge. Fresh had been a bit dull and floral. Six months later that was gone and in it's place was a lively rich Red Virginia with a fruity Perique playing support. I've never seen a blend open up that fast.
Would that 6 months’ improvement be spoiled if it were put into a jar first (to try initially fresh) vs left sealed in the tin?

beargreasediet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2021
Too close to Seattle.

Are cigars the same as pipe and cigarettes?

JSPiper71

Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
Are cigars the same as pipe and cigarettes?
I don't buy cigars in Canada at all anymore. My favorite Hoyo d Monterrey Epicure #2 went from $21 cad to now over $40 in the last 5 years. I've never smoked cigarettes so can't help you there, but it's an appalling, deliberate attempt to steal from people who are already taxed beyond reasonable comprehension. Lumping pipe and cigar smoking as the same as cigarettes is insanity.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
I don't buy cigars in Canada at all anymore. My favorite Hoyo d Monterrey Epicure #2 went from $21 cad to now over $40 in the last 5 years. I've never smoked cigarettes so can't help you there, but it's an appalling, deliberate attempt to steal from people who are already taxed beyond reasonable comprehension. Lumping pipe and cigar smoking as the same as cigarettes is insanity.
Agreed. I've ordered cigars in small numbers, or tinned cigars from SP. Overall it's been worthwhile compared to buying domestically, but it's hit or miss; you know. The government has certainly taxed cigars out of reach of the working man or woman.

PennyStonks

Can't Leave
Nov 22, 2022
Agreed. I've ordered cigars in small numbers, or tinned cigars from SP. Overall it's been worthwhile compared to buying domestically, but it's hit or miss; you know. The government has certainly taxed cigars out of reach of the working man or woman.
This is why all of our favorite blends are becoming so hard to find. People are hoarding in anticipation of this happening in the US

JSPiper71

Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
Pipe tobacco used to be designated as wholesale, or unfinished tobacco, as opposed to cigarettes and cigars that were finished product. As such, the cash grab tax was significantly less. That changed a few years ago and it's now lumped in with everything else. You can now bring 50 cigars across the border and 7oz of pipe tobacco. 50 cigars is a lot of cigars, 7oz of pipe tobacco is not a lot comparably.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I decided to make this tobacco order all flakes. I got 4 tins of Cringle Flake, one 3.5 oz tin of Mac Baren Navy Flake, and a few oz of C&D Virgina Flake bulk. I tried Mac Baren Navy Flake a few years ago when I first started smoking a pipe and I didn't care for it. Many of the blends I tried back then I've since revisited and have thoroughly enjoyed so I'm curious to see what I think of it. I'd be surprised if I don't like Cringle Flake as I'm a perique lover for sure.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I decided to make this tobacco order all flakes. I got 4 tins of Cringle Flake, one 3.5 oz tin of Mac Baren Navy Flake, and a few oz of C&D Virgina Flake bulk. I tried Mac Baren Navy Flake a few years ago when I first started smoking a pipe and I didn't care for it. Many of the blends I tried back then I've since revisited and have thoroughly enjoyed so I'm curious to see what I think of it. I'd be surprised if I don't like Cringle Flake as I'm a perique lover for sure.
Haha, I had Vauen No. 14, Capstan Yellow (Gold?) and HH Pure Virginia in my cart to try on recommendation of a forum member but had forgotten to finalize the order so ended up doing the same. Didn’t expect the Cringle to be there so what the heck.