PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Jun 9, 2018
England
Fun fact about Playboy which those who have never opened one refuse to believe is that for many years Playboy actually had very good articles.
Totally agree. You browse the issues though the decades and it's a who's who of celebrities and notable people from those times. Plus there's interesting lifestyle and fashion articles from a bygone era.

Jun 9, 2018
England
The taxes on tobacco in Australia are a piss take. The UK will catch up soon the way things are going.

£17.70 for a 50g tin of Peterson Perfect Plug. I just checked my records and i've got a tin of PPP in the cellar that's 5 years old and that cost me £13.75. That's about a 30% increase in 5 years.

IInflation in the UK stands at about 10% so I'd expect that to start having an effect, as well. ☹️

Laurent

Lifer
Dec 25, 2021
Michigan
I think regardless if you’re a tobacco smoker or not, I believe this seems to be the problem in so many topics of government controlling people. It all seems hypocritical when you look and see other rules of other substances and peoples choices. Time has always shown that people do not do well in boxes. Obviously, we need rules and laws but laws that choose what people do to themselves, that don’t involve hurting others, I think are ridiculous. Just my opinion, which is as good as the next lol.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
When I was a small boy, and before the dam at Stockton on the Sac River, my father took me in his 1955 pickup (he traded in 1963) over to look for a bird dog in the river bottoms of the Sac River.

The man with the dog advertised wasn’t home, but his wife said he could be found down on the river at a coon on a log contest.

When we arrived, there was a live raccoon on a log in the river, and tree dogs would swim out and try to drown the coon. It was a gory, bloody mess, and ignorant looking men dressed in old bib overalls were gambling and drinking whiskey right out of the bottle.

I was horrified. I said to my Daddy, that coon is hurting those dogs!

He just said different folks have different ways, and let us judge not, lest we be judged.

They’d all be felons today, for the sake of saving a raccoon, not the dogs.

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
Is there a market for Peterson Nightcap Cigars? How about a Navy roll cigar, or a 1Q cigar? Other countries play games with what constitutes pipe tobacco, so why haven’t manufacturers capitalized on the cigar protections of AUS?

Buying one of these cigars would be like unwrapping a Christmas present 🤣

Reactions: Browny and vosBghos

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Is there a market for Peterson Nightcap Cigars? How about a Navy roll cigar, or a 1Q cigar? Other countries play games with what constitutes pipe tobacco, so why haven’t manufacturers capitalized on the cigar protections of AUS?

There is nothing I know of legally that would prevent the tax free sale and marketing of artificially scented dried cabbage leaves to burn as aromatherapy.

Already there are herbal cigarettes.

Missouri has just approved by ballot initiative the legalization of cannabis.

The tax will be 4% of the invoice price.

Medical cannabis is already legal, and users pay these average prices per ounce, today, which includes a hidden 6% invoice tax.

QualityAverage ($/Oz.)*Sample Size
High Quality$352.083299
Medium Quality$273.96

How hard could it be to make a cheaper synthetic substitute?

Reactions: Browny

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.

Sorry old mate unfortunately all tobacco here is taxed by weight, at a fixed rate, here in the great nanny state.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
The crazy thing is you're still allowed to eat Vegemite in public.
Heathen! Can't allow this comment to pass without a response in defense of an Aussie icon that's a staple in every true Aussies household [When a civil war starts - which will only be a matter of time in most civilised Western countries - one of the ways to identify an enemy would be to look in their fridge. No Vegemite would be a sure sign that they're a dirty Commie infiltrator].

Here's the thing; Vegemite is a concentrated paste.
One only uses a very small amount on toast or a sandwich.

I've seen clips of those American night shows with creepy comperes like Letterman and that carrot topped weirdo [they are described as 'comedians'. Comedians? Shit, even with a team of writers they couldn't produce a chuckle from an hyena or a giggle from a kookaburra]

But I digress. When these talentless fools have an Aussie guest on their show, they love to bag out Vegemite.
They'll have a jar of Vegemite and bread or toast [But no butter. What type of uncivilised individual makes toast or sandwiches without first spreading butter? SMFH]
They spread the Vegemite like it's peanut butter. Like pouring a tablespoon of salt onto a sandwich. Of course that would taste terrible [I look forward to when they have a Japanese guest. They'll likely serve a whole raw fish and call it sashimi]

One of the talentless dickheads [forget which creepy guy in-particular] had Hugh Jackman as a guest who showed him the correct amount to apply.
His taste must not have been completely up his bum because he agreed that when applied correctly, Vegemite is rather tasty.

Vegemite was the only thing that my son would have on a sandwich, toast or crumpet when he was growing.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I stand by my theory that pipe-smokers are thinkers. The very act lends itself to contemplation, reflection, and quietness. It shuts the mouth (something most people never get very good at) and opens the mind. It doesn't automatically mean every pipe-smoker is a wise person, but he has a better chance of becoming one with the hobby.
Perhaps it's that thinkers tend to be attracted to smoking a pipe in the first place.

A U.S. Surgeon Generals report from back in the day found that pipe smokers who inhale, have the same life expectancy as a non-smoker.
[This is easily explained by the fact that pipe tobacco has no added nasty chemicals, unlike cigarettes that have a staggering 300 to 600 added chemicals. Tobacco is not the cause of most smoking related disease but rather, it's the foul added chemicals that are to blame]

Pipe smokers who don't inhale the report found, had a life expectancy three years beyond that of a non-smoker.
On the face of it that seems counterintuitive but I believe there's an obvious explanation.
Pipe smokers who don't inhale, generally speaking, tend to only smoke one or two bowls a day when they have the time to sit back and relax.
Puffing on a pipe while sitting back is quite meditative.

The benefits of daily meditation are well known, a practice that I've followed for over thirty years.
As a teacher of meditation I use many different methods and am often told that some of the more traditional methods are 'boring'.
Yes well that just means that they've tried techniques that are usually a bit advanced for a newbie.
In that case I advise for them to find an enjoyable way to relax.

One guy I met as an example, complained that he knew that he needed to address his stress but found traditional meditative techniques unsatisfactory.
Upon further questioning I found that he enjoyed fishing. He couldn't care less if he caught a fish or not, he just really enjoyed sitting in nature by a body of water dangling a line.
The look on his face was priceless when I asked him "Don't you realise that you've already found your way to relax and destress?" [Which is the point of meditation]
Sitting on a porch while puffing on a pipe while quietly watching nature, sunset or the night sky is a perfect way to relax and destress from a days activities.

For this reason alone, pipe tobacco needs to be tax free as an encouragement to help smokers choose a far better habit than an addiction to stinkn cigarettes [that had me by the testicles for 35 years]

Hunter1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2022
MD
Like here in America, Tobacco is bad, but pot, hash, vape is ok to use . Here our esteemed idiots that run America, want tobacco banned , but pot legal. Kind of reminds me what a russian guy who moved to America said. The communist gave them cheap vodka to keep the people drunk, so they wouldn't think about what the government was doing. This is what our communist leaders want for America.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Like here in America, Tobacco is bad, but pot, hash, vape is ok to use . Here our esteemed idiots that run America, want tobacco banned , but pot legal. Kind of reminds me what a russian guy who moved to America said. The communist gave them cheap vodka to keep the people drunk, so they wouldn't think about what the government was doing. This is what our communist leaders want for America.
Well ok, but here it gets legalized for the taxes. Even hard core right areas are legalizing it because as far as taxes its like printing money, but whatever floats your boat.

Reactions: Honkytonk Man

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I really don't understand the extreme hatred against tobacco. There are other things that will do harm to human body such as alcohol, caffeine, sugar, number of so called recreation drugs. But tobacco is hand picked by almost all governments as number 1 evil substance. Just doesn't make sense.
caffeine and nicotine especially together help cognitive function it's all about control, I wish I was just kidding they are playing a slow game eventually they will come for caffeine too, after all " You Will Eat Z Bugz" is the final goal.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
This is such a broad and deep minefield, an absolute can of worms! I've enjoyed reading all your comments here and I can sense the passion boiling up from below the surface. The laws and regulations seem to just box you in and, before you've realised what's happening, you're trapped and cannot get out. Government interference should be so much more restrained than it is. The older I get, the more I believe this. I often look at the US Constitution & Bill of Rights and feel a real sense of admiration and envy. Checks and balances are so important. Anyhow, I feel I'm beginning to state little more than the obvious now. I guess one thing that can and should be said is to enjoy your pipes, your tobacco and your right to choose one way or the other.
The laws here too post 9/11 and Now with Covid are creeping up, all I see are a bunch of frogs that do not notice that the jacuzzi is getting hotter...

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
No, alcohol and cannabis are completely different in more ways than one.
One drinks alcohol in excess to forget.
Cannabis has the exact opposite where it throws in ones face whatever it is that one's attempting to hide. It tends to force one to confront ones issues.

Cannabis has tremendous healing qualities [apart from treating my chronic nerve pain, her anti-inflammatory effects has stopped the progression of my 'terminal' vascular disease]
Cannabis was widely prescribed back in the day to treat multiple conditions.

z-cannabis elixer most widely prescribed medication for over 100 illnesses.jpg

That was until Rockefeller started Big pHarma.
Since pHarmaceuticals are unable to compete with a safe natural plant that one can't patent, TPTB demonised cannabis with nonsense like the Marijuana Madness campaign. [How astounding how people to this day still believe that ridiculous propaganda]

In mans entire history there's not been a single death due to cannabis use.
Alcohol on the other hand has caused the death of millions.

z-cannabis breaking news still hasnt killed anyone cartoon.jpg

The push towards decriminalisation of cannabis was due to pressure from citizens.
Were it left up to our so-called representatives, cannabis would not ever be decriminalised.
They'd much prefer the 'great unwashed' to be wasted on alcohol than a mind opening medicine like cannabis.

Just saying . . . .