PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
GH&Co. Scotch Mixture in a MM and C&D collaborative cob straight nose warmer with a tomato red stem. Planning a Thanksgiving with friends from church, a scaled down feast with good conversation and a new cat to meet. Tonight just paying some bills and getting down ingredients for my wife to make some rolls to take to Thanksgiving. Among my long list of things to be thankful for will be the good people on Forums. Happy Thanksgiving to all, those who celebrate this holiday and everyone else as well.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Enjoyed a tasty Jazz apple, and am half way through this bowl of Mac Baren Scottish Mixture in a straight, smooth brown 1960s Lane era Charatan Special 38 bulldog with a black vulcanite saddle stem. Community Coffee, neat, is my drink. Off to work now.
1960s_Lane_Charatan_Special38_bulldog.jpg

isaac liu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 30, 2022
China wuhan
i really had no idea what all this pu'erh tea talk was all about, then remembered a box of tea a friend gave us a few years ago after returning from a trip to china. Turns out we have some! Now what do i need to do to store it correctly!? 😦
View attachment 182958
Wrap it with the paper in the package, and then place it in the pottery pot. Cover it without sealing, but do not put it together with other smelly things (especially tobacco). Do not use porcelain pot or mason jar. It should be placed in a place where the air can circulate but there is no direct sunlight. The air humidity should not exceed 75%. It should be checked every six months.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Close to finishing this bowl of Wilke No. 222 in an undated straight, smooth light brown unbranded short shank Bing-ish billiard with a long, tapered black vulcanite stem. Touching up pages on this Archie story. Two more to go, and it'll be finished.
Unbranded French "Bing".jpg

isaac liu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 30, 2022
China wuhan
I also read about it just right now. Especially on how the Chinese use to prepare that kind of tea. They wash it for a few seconds with the first gush of hot water, and pour that first brew away, then drinking the second, third…brewed with fresh water.
we call that: 洗茶 wash tea.
Pu'er tea exists because the compressed tea is convenient for international transportation. Before the 20th century, most Chinese people did not like this kind of tea. Since the 5th century AD, the nomads on the Mongolian Plateau mainly consumed Pu'er tea. They smashed the tea bricks with a hammer and boiled it with milk. They usually used horses and other products to exchange tea as a vitamin supplement.

Pu'er tea belongs to big leaf trees. We (the Han people in the plain area, more than 93% of the Chinese population) prefer black tea and green tea with small leaf shrubs as raw materials, as well as some semi fermented tea. The price of Hi-End products is very scary (10000usd/100g). For us, Pu'er tea or other tea bricks are cheap foreign trade products. This view did not change until decades ago.

Not only Yunnan, but also central China also produces tea bricks similar to Pu'er. In a small town more than 2 hours drive from Wuhan, I once saw a quite expensive old tea brick, which was customized from China shortly after Twinings was founded. At that time, the British had not introduced tea to India. That factory is still producing. Twinings Company customized 2000 tea bricks from this factory for the 200th anniversary celebration in 1981.
WechatIMG210.png

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
Smoked some 5-year-old Hal o' the Wynd in my brand new (to me) estate smooth Savinelli Punto Oro Gold (701) lovat with a vulcanite stem. Packed this on Saturday. I've gotten in the habit of packing a few pipes and leaving them inside my jacket pocket in case the opportunity strikes. This is my first bowl in this pipe. Seems like a great smoker and this tobacco is tasting SUPERB. Fine white ash. You know the rest. I'm more of an Old Gowrie kind of guy, but this HOTW is tasting amazing now at 5 years. They didn't lie.

IMG_3038.jpeg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Now smoking Wilke No. 515 in a smooth dark medium bend 2021 Peterson Heritage Brown POTY 4AB No. 45/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. This was the blend Basil Rathbone smoked.
4AB_Brown-left.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.