PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dyakoff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2022
Ukraine
Hi friends.
Won this meer at a local auction for $12. It has been sitting there for 3 month, guess no one wanted it she was waiting for me.

Wouldn’t go as far as thinking it’s a 19th century meer, but it’s easily twice my age.
DC86984B-BFE6-475A-9F6C-3FB9D08F4428.jpeg
Unfortunately it seems she suffered an hard landing and looks like the material has developed a number of worrying cracks.
989C2F6E-F9A7-4CE1-B7B3-19530106805F.jpeg

I am not sure how far do I wish to go with the restoration because I am not sure she can actually perform as a pipe without breaking apart.
CC533155-D670-4998-85A1-C352364B4F63.jpeg
I would probably give the lady a light micromesh treatment, some waxing and would keep her as a piece of decoration.
But I am worried whether it is a good idea to heat those nasty cracks of hers.
Some advice here would be greatly appreciated.

If she survives the ordeal I will probably try to find her a fitting bone tenon and a stem.

Last edited:

Dyakoff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2022
Ukraine
Looks to be more cheroot holder than a pipe. I'd send it here for restoration and a stem.

I think you are correct. But the seller’s grandmother has been using it as a pipe, so guess it’s a pipe now
:)

Looking at the price list I am not 100% sure I would be willing to spend a price of a new meerschaum pipe to restore something I bought out of curiosity. If it were MY grandmothers pipe - sure. But since it isn’t, I don’t really have any special feelings towards it.
Yet, I will try contacting with them just to make sure. Thank you.

ARTOPUT

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2022
Bonners Ferry, Idaho
I don't think I would attempt a restore on the cracks myself. It appears that the cracks are dark colored from the long periods of use with the build-up of tobacco matter in the cracks. To me removing the matter in the cracks in order for a bonding material to work would possibly take away from the patina of the pipe. For what amount you have invested I myself would just keep it as is as a conversation piece and a bit of history to share. Just my two cents.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I like your idea of shine it up a bit, get it smelling better, and then hang it on the wall above your other meers. No stem necessary in that idea.

Pipes are one of the few things that when broken, can still be displayed. A tv? No chance.

Reactions: Scottmi

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Smoking it gently can “heal” the cracks from the inside. The only one I would be concerned about it the one by the shank. I’d consider fixing a metal band, and even permanently joining a stem.

Whether you smoke it or not, she will make a lovely shelf queen.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
That’s a mantle piece at this point. Repairing stone is either going to make it worse or destroy what’s left of her. Here is an idea: see if it can be reproduced.