PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
Some more Derriston mixture. This time in a Peterson Irish Army #406 (sort of a squat prince). Drinking Pinot noir and listening to Latin jazz (Arturo Sandoval) and dreaming of re-mastering my new plastic trumpet! I was pretty good in my youth. I even got to play on Ted Mack's Amateur Hour in 1962!

A pic of that „plastic trumpet“, please. I tried to play trumpet in my youth but was not successful.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Because of the picture sharing by @JimInks, I have been obsessed with 4AB or system spigot recently, now I am hungry for a peterson pipe like Gollum for the Ring.
“My precious……”
Being a fan of the Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes films, I knew I had to have a 4AB. I probably should’ve gotten the Traditional finish to have a pipe closer to what was depicted in the films, but, the Natural finish is what called to me. Unfortunately, there were so few done of those, and I’m not a fan of most of Peterson’s Rusticated finishes (especially the ones that look like they were gouged with a small rotary grinder). I was lucky enough to come across someone who was parting with a Terracotta finish, which was my next choice after Natural. I thought the Ebony looked pretty cool, but, those, too, were few in number, and rarely seen. I’m always amazed, but, shouldn’t be surprised, that Jim has all seven finishes. That appeals to my completist collector tendencies.

isaac liu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 30, 2022
China wuhan
Being a fan of the Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes films, I knew I had to have a 4AB. I probably should’ve gotten the Traditional finish to have a pipe closer to what was depicted in the films, but, the Natural finish is what called to me. Unfortunately, there were so few done of those, and I’m not a fan of most of Peterson’s Rusticated finishes (especially the ones that look like they were gouged with a small rotary grinder). I was lucky enough to come across someone who was parting with a Terracotta finish, which was my next choice after Natural. I thought the Ebony looked pretty cool, but, those, too, were few in number, and rarely seen. I’m always amazed, but, shouldn’t be surprised, that Jim has all seven finishes. That appeals to my completist collector tendencies.
Personally, peterson's sandblasting looks much better than rusticated, castello's(or radice)rusticated finishes are quite good, especially candle tears.

UncleRasta

Lifer
Sep 26, 2019
Monterey, CA
To be honest, I don’t know if they took the flake and turned it into this, or the blend is it’s own.

There is a difference here from the flake, because upon opening the tin, and taking a smell, I was greeted with perfume and pineapple. Since Irish Condor was the last perfume Lakeland like blend I smelled/smoked last month, it was the first thing that came to mind, along with Gawith’s Lakeland perfume like blends, very similar.

But no soap notes, just a subtle perfume smell and taste.

Looking back on Erinmore flake I had in the 80s, it definitely had no perfume Lakeland going on, it was all Pineapple.

The Pineapple smell and taste is 100% like I remember from the flake in the 80s, just amazing.

I still can’t believe the moisture remained perfect for 48 years, it boggles my mind. 😲

NOW I seriously need to find more and stock up, if possible LOL. 😆

P.S. It does look like little cut up flakes, if you look closely at the pic I posted before, not cubes.
Many congratulations on the first grandchild. A blessing indeed.

isaac liu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 30, 2022
China wuhan
A pic of that „plastic trumpet“, please. I tried to play trumpet in my youth but was not successful.
Maybe we lost another chet or miles.:(
I have a friend who is a professional flute player. It is well known that flute players are obsessed with gold flute, it is their standard equipment, but he often uses a plastic flute, so I think the plastic trumpet is OK

Mar 1, 2014
I've had the Tsuge Tasting (23) on my SP wish list for a few months and in that time the price went from $80 to $100.

How do you like them?
Overall fit and drilling is about as good as any Savinelli, though I think the slot on a Tsuge pipe is cut with more care than your average factory pipe.
It's really bizarre that the price rocketed up so fast, it makes me wonder if they've gone out of production because otherwise you can still find the pipes elsewhere, the price on Rakuten is still equivalent to $70, if anything the price should have gone down with recent exchange rates.
(Speaking of exchange rates now is definitely the best time to get a pipe from Europe.)

if it's Tsuge charging more for their work then I'm fine with that but retailers arbitrarily jacking prices is always one of my biggest annoyances in life.

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
Maybe we lost another chet or miles.:(
I have a friend who is a professional flute player. It is well known that flute players are obsessed with gold flute, it is their standard equipment, but he often uses a plastic flute, so I think the plastic trumpet is OK

Free jazz artist Don Cherry used a small kids plastic trumpet as he arrived at university and it n his very early days. He became quite famous in the Ornette Coleman Quartett in the 1950s.

I’ve heard him once live later in the 1980s at Leverkusener Jazztage as a member of the free jazz band „The leaders“ with Chick Freeman. He played a golden pocket trumpet. I love his sound, got several records, some of the the best jazz ever ever heard is the trilogy „Old and new Dreams“ with Charly Haden on bass, Dewey Redman, tenor sax, Ed Blackwell, drums.

Here with Paul motian

Last edited:

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
Running out of Perique cones so I decided for a very different beast. Mac Barens Vanilla cream Flake in Europe called Classic Flake because of regulations tobaccos not be mistaken as food. I found it in a local store. fold it in the falcon. Nice Virginia tobacco forward smoke with not to much vanilla. Way better than the ready rubbed variation.

1E0430BA-04AE-443C-B679-FF350780517D.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.