How to Prevent Odors from Smoking? (Breath, Clothes)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
Normally after a pipe I come inside, wash my hands, brush my teeth, and sometimes change clothes. But if you have a beard the smell might be lingering there. Some beard oil or balm can handle it.

I would probably just hold off on the pipe until I came home 🙂

MrHowell

Might Stick Around
Sep 6, 2022
West Virginia
Bad smell? Tobacco is not a bad smell. I smell like quality pipe tobacco. I'm starting to wonder about whether some of you aren't into the wrong hobby... not smoking inside your houses and all brainwashed into thinking tobacco stinks. Maybe some of you should take up incense or perfuming as a hobby if you don't like the smells. puffy
Amen

Reactions: Fralphog

atwaterville

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 15, 2021
Los Angeles, CA
I smoke in my backyard exclusively. I change into a different T-shirt and wear a baseball cap during summer time, and into two layers of jackets and a beanie that are dedicated for smoking during the cold Winter nights. When I'm done smoking, I wash my facial hair with copious amount of soap and brush my teeth before engaging with my family inside the house.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Besides using the Ozium for yourself and your car, I would do a shot of 151 and swish it around in your mouth. Trust me on the Ozium, you won't believe how that shit works.

Reactions: Fralphog
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
You can try and mask the reek but, non-smokers are certainly more sensitive such than the smoker. Unless the offended people are in a superior position and can do you damage, screw 'em. Or, if you are too civil for that, give them a break and don't smoke.

Exactly this. If you can't smoke without all this anxiety and preventive measures crap, don't. There's nothing you can do to 100% mask the smell from most non smokers, don't waste your time.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
My family don't like the smell too, they can say when I smoked last time lol
I married my wife about 30 years before I started smoking a pipe. She doesn't like me to smell like a pipe when we turning in for the night, or other nocturnal activities. Since I enjoy those activities with her, sometimes, I just don't smoke. That's worked for me for the past 10 years. There is absolutely no way to eliminate the smell, you can disguise it some, but if you get close to someone, they'll know. Helps me keep it in moderation as well, and that's not a bad thing.

aspiring_sage

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2021
West of the Twin Cities, MN
My wife hates smoke too.
I invited her to tell me whenever she detects it because I was curious about which tactics work, she doesn't hesitate to alert me.

I generally have success when I wear a Jacket and hat while smoking, and when done:
  • Take off the hat and jacket, hang them well ventilated for 24 hours and she doesn't smell smoke on 'em.
  • Wash face. I'm still not sure this is needed. Maybe just apply beard oil or other scent.
  • Brush teeth (and tongue).
  • Mints work sometimes, not others
  • Don't walk around with the pipe in my pocket.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
I truthfully think it is impossible to eliminate the pipe tobacco aroma if you have been smoking. If you cannot find a happy medium that allows you to smoke in some fashion that your companions are comfortable with, it is probably either a) time for new companions, or b) time to give up pipe smoking.

Even though I find the gentle lingering aroma of most pipe tobaccos on my visage pleasant and my companions find it at least tolerable, everyone does recognize it.

In my neck of the woods, the greener leaf has recently become legal. And, that said, I can definitely identify the smell of that combustible on folks who have recently indulged in that leaf. I find that greener leaf exudes (to me) a very unpleasant odor, and I would find it a bit of a challenge if I had companion who indulged in that leaf, because to me it would seem to be rather like living with an angry skunk.