PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chaukisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
I live in a tobacco friendly community. A pipe no more raises an eyebrow than a cigarette does.
As it should be. I don't hang out in the public places where the public usually hangs out but I'm around. And I don't see a whole lot of pipe smokers except for that one older gentleman. In my little part of the world everbody seems to be more used to those vapor inhalators, I see them being used everywhere.
There seem to be single use ones that are tossed away on the side of the street, creating even more prominent rubbish. But I digress...

Whatever their thought might be, they might never know the pleasure and formidable taste of a burned tobacco. Poor souls, those.

I live in a tobacco friendly community. A pipe no more raises an eyebrow than a cigarette does.
I think that it is just a Southern thing. Even if someone doesn't like smoking, we are too polite to say so. Whereas, further North, people are like, "What are you lookin' at?" "Get the f out of here," etc...
My first time in Chicago, I nodded in politeness to a guy, and he locked eyes, and just started screaming at me. I'm just not programmed for Northerness.

LongIslandPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2022
My wife ordered a pizza from our local pizza joint, and I volunteered to go pick it up.

I’d just stuffed nearly a half ounce of tobacco in my super giant WDC Wellington and got up to leave, and she giggled and laughed at my huge pipe.

View attachment 178382
View attachment 178383

There is a reason Peterson called their biggest pipes a house pipe.

Some pipes are just way too big to be seen in public smoking them.
Keep rocking it! Even unlit my pipe is a conversation starter. Of course i do get the occasional ‘sir there’s no smoking 🚭 in here’. Well it isn’t lit…yet! 😉

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I think that it is just a Southern thing. Even if someone doesn't like smoking, we are too polite to say so. Whereas, further North, people are like, "What are you lookin' at?" "Get the f out of here," etc...
My first time in Chicago, I nodded in politeness to a guy, and he locked eyes, and just started screaming at me. I'm just not programmed for Northerness.
Are you sure you weren't just hanging out there?

In any event, yeah, Southerners don't mouth off at a smoker, but there are some who'll scream at others for tiny things. And don't judge the North by anyone living in Chicago, except the Gold Coast.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Big Pipes Smoke Heavenly :sher:

When it comes to public appearance a pipe will always leave a certain but strong impression, no matter the size.
In public I get much more looks when I'm clenching on my little cob, I don't like it but I like my smoke so I'm damn well gonna have it and especially out in public, in the fresh air.
I take my little cob for walks because it suits me and my needs, if you want that big ol' stump hanging out while walking around I don't blame ya. Hell, I'll admire you for it. I wish my little cob could hold more tobac.
I keep seeing this older fella with long gray hair, long gray beard and leather tricorne hat.
Shine on, you crazy diamond!!! If there isn't any aposematism or any other psychological issue behind it, I don't see any problem with it.
I don't want the circus or the devils dancing through the streets but a big ol' pipe?
Puff up and let me smell some!

I myself thought about getting one of those long hunter pipes and fixing it to my bike.

View attachment 178652

💪😁👍
When I got into pipes I had to start buying shirts with pockets for my cobs , never leave the house without one, some five bros a lighter and a nail and a lunting we will go 😉

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Likewise. Southerners confuse me. I find myself thinking why the feck does this feck like me? Oh their just polite, oh o.k..

Reactions: vosBghos

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
While living in NYC, I rarely said polite things. After moving to NC, it was a culture shock. Everyone so polite. Everyone greeting each other, thank you this, thank you that. It was almost sickening. After 40 years in NC, I'm finally used to it. But now, there are too many Yankees down here, and things are changing. Not sure to say "Good Morning!" or "The fuck you looking at?"

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
My wife ordered a pizza from our local pizza joint, and I volunteered to go pick it up.

I’d just stuffed nearly a half ounce of tobacco in my super giant WDC Wellington and got up to leave, and she giggled and laughed at my huge pipe.

View attachment 178382
View attachment 178383

There is a reason Peterson called their biggest pipes a house pipe.

Some pipes are just way too big to be seen in public smoking them.
Next month, put on a Santa 🎅🏻 outfit when in public smoking that pipe, & no one will laugh at you.

(They don’t want to be on his Naughty List)

Mac

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
While living in NYC, I rarely said polite things. After moving to NC, it was a culture shock. Everyone so polite. Everyone greeting each other, thank you this, thank you that. It was almost sickening. After 40 years in NC, I'm finally used to it. But now, there are too many Yankees down here, and things are changing. Not sure to say "Good Morning!" or "The fuck you looking at?"
Educate your yankee fellow travelers before NC turns into what they wanted to escape. 😇

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
As it should be. I don't hang out in the public places where the public usually hangs out but I'm around. And I don't see a whole lot of pipe smokers except for that one older gentleman. In my little part of the world everbody seems to be more used to those vapor inhalators, I see them being used everywhere.
There seem to be single use ones that are tossed away on the side of the street, creating even more prominent rubbish. But I digress...

Whatever their thought might be, they might never know the pleasure and formidable taste of a burned tobacco. Poor souls, those.
We just have to remember... We aren't wierd for smoking pipes. People have been doing it forever. THEY are wierd for smoking electric battery operated vapor machines. I happen to do both occasionally. I'm wierd all the way around.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Is it the Yanks making the tobacco tax completely outrageous, didn’t we have a tea party over this once? WTH is going on around here anyway? the taxes are truly offensive…