PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
I finally broke down and opened my one and only tin of Squadron Leader while hanging out with some guys for a newly inaugurated Pipes and Philosophy group.

It is over 4 years old (probably at least 4 and a half) and knowing that the seals on recent Samuel Gawith tins have been less than water tight, I knew that the time was approaching now or never. I was glad I did, for two reasons:

- this blend is simply delicious and perfectly satisfying at 4+ years, and exhibits those lovely plume crystals everyone covets in aged pipe tobacco
- the seal was probably going bad based on the corrosion of the metal coating at the corners (see the photos below)

I had heard from a friend who tried SG’s Squadron Leader with Perique that it came sopping wet out of the (fresh tin). I believe that happened about 4 years ago. Maybe the seal for mine was not great, but the high moisture content slowly receded until now, keeping it from being bone dry? In any event, the moisture content NOW is perfect!

After a couple bowls I can say that this is probably the best English blend I’ve ever had, with the only exception being GLP Samarra. Lots of fresh ground pepper notes, leather (like the smell of a well-oiled baseball mitt), some sour vinegar from quality Virginias and woody spice from the Orientals. Honestly, just a total winner across the board. I would love to buy this again, but really I should have bought 10 tins 4 years ago for aging. The only problem there would have been whether to open them now to put away in mason jars.

One last note: I tried a bowl of probably recent production SL at my local Oktoberfest and it was much drier than my tin (but still very smokable). But even from that one smoke, I knew I’d love my 4 year tin.

Enjoy the pics!00842C38-4D4C-4C00-9E67-09C50240FE29.jpegC9DA9801-5343-45B7-866A-6F7D968D862F.jpeg1241D98A-8EB5-42F3-B947-5E93CF6A580B.jpeg0B35E59A-E79D-4A08-AA9E-2CBE2C4EDA59.jpeg

drayve85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Looks perfect! Was there a "whoosh" as you opened the tin? I have a tin of SL that is roughly 10 years old, seal is still holding fine as far as I can tell. I think the tin issues have mostly been from the last two years or so.

The recent labels are pretty sad, too. :(
SG has had “issues” with their seals as long as I can remember, at least ten years ago when I started smoking. There was always talk about making sure your tins were still sealed. I think a big problem is because of the rectangular shape, but that’s my opinion.

Reactions: chopper and lraisch

gawithhoggarth

Can't Leave
Dec 26, 2019
Kendal, UK
www.gawithhoggarth.co.uk
Rachel, GQ Tobaccos in the UK has posted pictures of GH Jubilee and Summer Reserve in round tins. May we expect other GH blends in round tins in the near future?
No, these are limited editions only. Round tins are very expensive, do not pack well for transport and part of our branding is rectangular tins.

Singularis

Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
No, these are limited editions only. Round tins are very expensive, do not pack well for transport and part of our branding is rectangular tins.
Rectangular tins fit better in the pocket, so there is that.

Also, thanks for responding about this! It's cool to hear straight from the source about a classic, well-loved product.

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
One of my favorites too--which (along with the perique version) I've made a point of buying a few tins every year. Glad to hear 2018 was a fine vintage.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This thread prompted me to visit SP to read the specs on this blend, because I have a different version. I see it is an English blend -- Virginia, Latakia, and Orientals, in a tin with a white label.

My tin has a green label, and is labeled a "Special Edition 2019, Original Recipe with Perique." I had mistaken it for a Va/Per, but it is the original English blend with Perique. In any case, I am enjoying it. Forgive my mistaken reference to it in the WAYS thread as a Va/Per. A very pleasant blend with (and I suspect without) the Perique.

Singularis

Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
This thread prompted me to visit SP to read the specs on this blend, because I have a different version. I see it is an English blend -- Virginia, Latakia, and Orientals, in a tin with a white label.

My tin has a green label, and is labeled a "Special Edition 2019, Original Recipe with Perique." I had mistaken it for a Va/Per, but it is the original English blend with Perique. In any case, I am enjoying it. Forgive my mistaken reference to it in the WAYS thread as a Va/Per. A very pleasant blend with (and I suspect without) the Perique.
mso, that version you have is the one I refer to in my OP (the friend with the Squadron Leader with Perique, a sample of which he let me try). It was quite excellent, and it took me 4 years to finally open my tin of "original version".

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
When I could still stand Latakia, I much preferred Squadron Leader's sibling 'Skiff Mixture', but to me is the perfect English. I'd recommend a go if you come across a tin.