PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
The “5000 year” thread reminded me of a news report about the fellow who gained fame for not having bathed for 60+ years….. he was recently in the news again because he finally acquiesced and bathed…. and then passed away relatively shortly thereafter.

I bring up this news account because one of the things mentioned in the article was that he regularly smoked animal dung. I had heard of this a few times over the years and it was even mentioned in an episode of M*A*S*H where Hunnicut gave pipe tobacco to a fellow and told him he would like it more than the dung he was smoking. I had always assumed the “dung” smoking adage was just a legend or a way to disparage really bad tobacco. But, it apparently is a real thing. If it works, I am going to attach a photo of the fellow who didn’t bathe here, showing him smoking his pipe filled with actual dried dung. I thought it might be an interesting image/thread…. though I guarantee, I will be sticking to only pipe tobacco myself. 🙂

Attachments

• 763BCA55-7535-4524-B5CB-5FA529CB4E45.jpeg
    763BCA55-7535-4524-B5CB-5FA529CB4E45.jpeg
    21.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Wow
Reactions: trouttimes

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some animal body has gone to elaborate work to rid itself of all that vegetable matter and concomitant intestinal bacteria, and viruses, toxins, waste and expired cells, and someone's going to smoke it? Uh, not recommended.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Don't know if it's true or not, but.... I've heard that in years gone by, the Syrians used dried camel dung in curing their Latakia. It seems that there was no wood available to give it the right flavor, but the smoke from the camel dung did the trick. Ok, I'd take a chance. If I could get hold of any of that I'd give it a try. Why not? puffy cray

Reactions: Epip Oc'Cabot

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
In many parts of the world, dried cow pats (dung) are still used as fuel for cooking and heating.

Coffee fanciers (I hesitate to use the word "connoisseurs") pay a hefty premium for a cup of "kopi luwak" (an Indonesian "specialty")
Essentially coffee beans that have been pooped out by civet cats ("musang") who love eating the coffee berries

Reactions: Epip Oc'Cabot

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I don't think this gentleman can be pointed at as anything other wise then what he does. Though chicken poo is used in some places to alkalize snuff mainly for dipping even though it's called naswar (roughly translates to something about the nose). Apperantly it has a similar effect on the tobacco as the punk ash native Alaskans add to their dip. I can't help but wonder if this glorious freak of a Discordian saint was smoking dung along with anything else for a similar effect. I refuse to do any studies on this as dung is best used for daub and wattle.

Chaukisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
Why, let me eat half of my mead soaked Virginia leaves and I'll report back in a few days.
Put that in your pipe and smoke it.
Reminds of me of Chong, who smoked his dogs poop after it ate all the weed. "This is Labrador, man!"
Nah, this is too far our for me to get. Same with those coffee beans or some of the dudes in India.
Or that whole gutter oil thing. Maybe a nice glass of that, garnished with dingleberries, to go with a pipe made out of guano?

But good to finally know the story behind that guy in the picture you posted. I sure would like to know more about that "piece of pipe" pipe he's smoking.