PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Red Leader

Might Stick Around
Feb 12, 2022
Colorado
@T-townrestore and @Red Leader

Really neat work guys ???

Much more impressive than the majority of EBay vendors with their "ready to smoke" offerings.

I suppose the difference is that most of us doing clean-ups are doing it for our personal use.
The vendors are putting in their time and have to factor if they will get a fair return for the effort they put in.
Thanks! The restorations/cleanup has been a learning curve with me, so it has been helpful to start w/ really cheap pipes and go from there. Have nearly ruined some, and on each one I've learned something new. I think we all strive to get to the level of D. Valitchka (I wonder, does he post here?) and personally, I strive for that lovely reddish brown semi gloss color that is the perfect hue on a vintage pipe. One day hopefully I'll get there!

T-townrestore

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 10, 2021
Tacoma
I’ve been using a dewalt and a zip tie. Is it a 4” buffer? I will have to get one next week then. I had not thought about doing micro mesh on the briar… I was just using a 400 grit sandpaper, using denatured alcohol to clean any junk, then staining.
I use a 6” buffing wheel. Yeah, it can get pretty tedious working with all that micro mesh, but turns out nice.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Thanks! The restorations/cleanup has been a learning curve with me, so it has been helpful to start w/ really cheap pipes and go from there. Have nearly ruined some, and on each one I've learned something new. I think we all strive to get to the level of D. Valitchka (I wonder, does he post here?) and personally, I strive for that lovely reddish brown semi gloss color that is the perfect hue on a vintage pipe. One day hopefully I'll get there!
Doug does great work
And he researches each pipe. I love reading his descriptions of his offerings.

There is another EBay vendor who gets top dollar for his stuff. I have not bought any of his offerings as I really dislike the overly shiny finishes - looks lacquered(I’m sure it’s only layers of Carnauba and white diamond )

msattler

Lurker
Apr 11, 2019
Iowa
George, it must be reiterated how amazing these two repairs are. As @sablebrush52 has said before, these are true restorations; almost everything else in this thread, however well done, are really just nice cleanings of pipes. In a different age, I'd want to apprentice under you. Truly impressive work.
Absolutely amazing... The talent you guys have is unreal.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

T-townrestore

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 10, 2021
Tacoma
Thought you might get a kick out of how far it's possible to go with collectables.

Easier to link to existing photos than upload them here (because of the pic count and size limits):

Your work is amazing, and I’ve been glued to your YouTube channel. I didn’t know how these hopeless pipes can get new life.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

msattler

Lurker
Apr 11, 2019
Iowa
So how do you save the stamping? I have a few badly beat up pipes (one appears to have been mauled by a dog and the wood filler used turned pink) that were made by Wally Frank. I sanded them down and restained them. I think they turned out well... but when I applied the stain, I realized I could no longer read the stamping clearly. Short of chemical stripping around it, what do you do?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
So how do you save the stamping? I have a few badly beat up pipes (one appears to have been mauled by a dog and the wood filler used turned pink) that were made by Wally Frank. I sanded them down and restained them. I think they turned out well... but when I applied the stain, I realized I could no longer read the stamping clearly. Short of chemical stripping around it, what do you do?
Don't sand or buff them. That will kill any stamping.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Didn't have to do anything on this pipe, as sanding was not required on the shank.

Red Leader

Might Stick Around
Feb 12, 2022
Colorado

T-townrestore

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 10, 2021
Tacoma
Reactions: dunnyboy