PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chaukisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
Wow, that's a beautiful pipe and equally beautiful and respectful display. German/Dutch ancestry?
Is that stem connected to the mouthpiece able to bend?
I noticed a number missing in the gentlemans year of death. Surely he didn't travel back in time?
Sadly I don't have any of those kinda pipes myself, My great grandfather rolled cigars for a living but I'll be damned if one them survived to this day.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
Wow, that's a beautiful pipe and equally beautiful and respectful display. German/Dutch ancestry?
Is that stem connected to the mouthpiece able to bend?
I noticed a number missing in the gentlemans year of death. Surely he didn't travel back in time?
Sadly I don't have any of those kinda pipes myself, My great grandfather rolled cigars for a living but I'll be damned if one them survived to this day.
I have no idea... that was just a graphic to get the thread started. It's not my pipe. :LOL:

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
I was finally able to convince my father to talk to my uncle and get one of my great-grandfather's pipes for me. I clearly remember as a child that my grandfather had a small pipe rack in his office with a handful of pipes in it, but he didn't smoke.

I learned later that they belonged to his father. When my grandfather passed away about 15 years ago, my uncle got the pipes. I told my dad that I would be willing to pay for one if my uncle was willing to give one up.

He ended up bringing me one this past Christmas. It's an older Medico Dublin that's actually in pretty good condition. It was pretty caked up, but I was able to ream it and clean it up a bit. Smells like he smoked some type of topped/cased burley in it, but it smokes pretty well and it even has some decent grain to it. This is the only picture I have at the moment, but you get the idea.

I think it originated from the late '50s or early '60s.medico.jpg

Chaukisch

Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
I have no idea... that was just a graphic to get the thread started. It's not my pipe. :LOL:
Well damn, another "disillusion". Are you at least a Christian priest with roots connecting to Ireland?
Don't throw my whole perceived world of beliefs upside down now.
Even if not, forgive me for shitposting in your thread. And if so, also forgive me for the profanities.

Let's enjoy the pipes now.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Last year my Grandma surprised me with a heirloom pipe and pipe rest which were brought to New Zealand with my Granddad’s family

Well for my birthday this year she gave me another pipe which came with them. This one is a German hunting pipe and appears to have been smoked once for a laugh. Unfortunately one of the sections of cherry wood in the stem had been broken. However the repair using a spring and duct tape was hilarious. I’m in the process of doing a more permanent fix.

In the workshop I have a crapload of his old st Bruno tins which were used (and still are) for hardware storage. It’s fun to see how he would of gone to the local and asked for a tin of Bruno, and if they were out he got erinmore instead. On two occasions he must have either come home bitter with dunhill flake or received it as a gift. My dad remembers him (his grandad) using an old amphora pouch as his daily carry, and as a young lad was given the job of running all the flakes out.

Here are both pipes pictured with some brass my Great Granddad used as his pipe rest

8F8F4E83-647A-4539-9C06-8AE04A860CDC.jpeg

Here is a photo my Grandma also gave me of her Pop smoking one of his burners. I managed to find a similar shaped dunny here which I display next to the photo and smoke from time to time.

B801B13D-4A07-4FD5-89CA-32CDEDDD1D82.jpeg

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
Well damn, another "disillusion". Are you at least a Christian priest with roots connecting to Ireland?
Don't throw my whole perceived world of beliefs upside down now.
Even if not, forgive me for shitposting in your thread. And if so, also forgive me for the profanities.
I am indeed an ordained minister and I am of Irish decent. The rest however is between you and the boss. 🤣

I'll post some pics of my heirlooms tomorrow.

Chaukisch

Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
I am indeed an ordained minister and I am of Irish decent. The rest however is between you and the boss. 🤣

I'll post some pics of my heirlooms tomorrow.
I saw your collar peeking through your beard in one photo. The pastor that christened me also smoked a pipe, it's a great aesthetic in general but for a man of God that somehow goes double.
I still remember how he sat there with his briar pipe stuck in his big fluffy beard, reading something and comfortably puffing away on some vanilla blend. Always made for a great picture.

Anyhow, looking forward to more family heirlooms. Estate pipes or antiques are one thing, a family heirloom is special.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
These are the pipes I inherited from my grandfather's passing in 1993. Also his rack and pocket watch. (The jar sits on my desk and is used daily)
20221111_121305.jpg

The fancy stuff... two meershaums and a Tyrolean.
20221111_121440~2.jpg

The bulldogs...
20221111_121552~2.jpg

and the billiards.
20221111_121523~2.jpg

The bulldogs & billiards are part of my regular rotation.

Dyakoff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2022
Ukraine
Here are a couple of pictures of my Great great grandfather smoking his pipe, sadly I do not have the pipe.
I feel you.
My great great grandfather was a tobacco merchant in 1858, trading with Turkey, so I bet he had great pipes, but unfortunately they were not passed down the female line and I don’t think they (pipes) survived the soviet revolution

Reactions: dunnyboy

Tachroneus

Lurker
Nov 12, 2022
Virginia
Just found a pipe in my Gramps' collection of stuff. Not sure of the year of manufacture or brand but it was originally his dad's pipe so it's fairly old by my guess. Anyone know how I could find out what it is? I'm also looking into getting it restored if possible but it doesn't look to be in horrible shape.
I've also noticed the diamond teardrop shap on the stem, does that give any clues to it's origin?

Attachments

• image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 7
  • received_671039847922752.jpeg
    received_671039847922752.jpeg
    158.2 KB · Views: 7

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Just found a pipe in my Gramps' collection of stuff. Not sure of the year of manufacture or brand but it was originally his dad's pipe so it's fairly old by my guess. Anyone know how I could find out what it is? I'm also looking into getting it restored if possible but it doesn't look to be in horrible shape.
I've also noticed the diamond teardrop shap on the stem, does that give any clues to it's origin?
Here’s a good place to start. Happy hunting bro