PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
There is definitely Latakia in Red Rapparee. Here is the printed description on the side of the 100g tin I'm holding in my hand right now as I type this: "Red Rapparee is a classical blend of Latakia, differently cut Virginia tobaccos, dark Cavendish and a distinctive proportion of Oriental." On the bottom of the tin, the following nearly identical description (with addition of word 'spicy' before Latakia) is also written: "A classical blend of spicy Latakia, differently cut Virginia tobaccos, dark Cavendish and a distinctive proportion of Oriental."

Good to hear, thank, so next time RR might be a good candidate to try. Maybe I put down my glasses, recently.

Reactions: MCJ

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Red Rapparre was a pleasant surprise, personally I think it’s a rather complex and lively blend. The interplay between the Red Va and Orientals is definitely the star of the show. I wouldn’t say the Latakia is just a condiment, but it blends way down into the mix as a whole. Really tasty stuff.

I will say - the one tin I’ve popped had a few years of age when I got it, and also I like heavy English blends, so your take on what is a hefty amount of Latakia might be totally different than mine. Regardless, it’s a very high quality tobacco that’s definitely worth a shot.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Well having smoked my first bowl from a fresh tin. I must say I’m very grateful for this thread as I’ve been on the road for about a month and though I love Quiet Nights and all I needed a break from all the Lat and RR gave me a nice dose of OR just what the palate Dr ordered…Gonna be my night smoke till it gets a bit colder round here…

Reactions: ThermionicScott

MCJ

Can't Leave
May 22, 2022
NW Connecticut
Well having smoked my first bowl from a fresh tin. I must say I’m very grateful for this thread as I’ve been on the road for about a month and though I love Quiet Nights and all I needed a break from all the Lat and RR gave me a nice dose of OR just what the palate Dr ordered…Gonna be my night smoke till it gets a bit colder round here…
Happy to hear that you are enjoying Red Rapparee. As noted above, since you find you like this blend you might also want to consider trying Black Mallory next; it's a nice transition to that, especially as the weather gets a little cooler.

Reactions: vosBghos
Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
The Black Mallory comparisons are helpful. I used to smoke nothing but heavy lat blends for about 3 years. Quiet Nights was my all time favorite. Little by little, I started leaning more towards VA and away from latakia. After a couple years of back and forth, I went on about a 10 month run of smoking nothing but VA's. After this I smoked a bowl of Quiet Nights and couldn't taste an Orientals, no va's, nothing but latakia. I tried several other lat blends and got the same results. Black Mallory was the first blend I smoked that I was still able to taste the other components and not just latakia. I think RR may be something I'd enjoy.

Reactions: vosBghos and MCJ

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Happy to hear that you are enjoying Red Rapparee. As noted above, since you find you like this blend you might also want to consider trying Black Mallory next; it's a nice transition to that, especially as the weather gets a little cooler.
Yeah I have a tin of that one too as well as 3 noggins , been waiting for the Rattray’s drop forever then I happened upon some at some pipe shops and went to town. Any word on 3 noggins?

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
...anyone know how Red Raparee and Black Mallory compare head to head?

An old Charles Rattray blend list in my collection has this to say about that:

"RED RAPAREE
A very handsome full flavor latakia blend, suited to the outdoor man. Mellow deep maturity balances the strong oriental. Rich red Virginia ensures complete burning and is a perfect balance to the latakia."

"BLACK MALLORY
A dark looking full-flavored blend with strong latakia and Turkish overtones. Rich nutty flavour and full black cavendish produce slow burning. The Turkish adds mellowness to the latakia."

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
An old Charles Rattray blend list in my collection has this to say about that:

"RED RAPAREE
A very handsome full flavor latakia blend, suited to the outdoor man. Mellow deep maturity balances the strong oriental. Rich red Virginia ensures complete burning and is a perfect balance to the latakia."

"BLACK MALLORY
A dark looking full-flavored blend with strong latakia and Turkish overtones. Rich nutty flavour and full black cavendish produce slow burning. The Turkish adds mellowness to the latakia."
Thanks

MCJ

Can't Leave
May 22, 2022
NW Connecticut
Yeah I have a tin of that one too as well as 3 noggins , been waiting for the Rattray’s drop forever then I happened upon some at some pipe shops and went to town. Any word on 3 noggins?
3 Noggins is a Rattray's blend that I haven't tried yet (but think I might like)...

stogie37

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
Smoking some RR from the recent drop. My other tins are all from the James B Russell distributorship era. My first tasting note on my journal simply said; Welcome back! Very happy to report that the brand spanking new stuff maintains at least a notable portion of that unique, nutty, floral oriental note that makes this blend so unique. The other 16oz of this 17.5oz bag have been jarred to sleep for at least a couple years - and should perform magnificently when they meet fresh air again. Excellent blend!

Reactions: RonB and vosBghos

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
I enjoy both RR and Black Mallory. I definitely find the Black Mallory to be more latakia forward than the RR. I originally happened upon BM as a potential MM965 replacement when we all thought those Dunhill blends were going away. I'm not claiming it to be a match, but it's of the same ilk; latakia forward English blend with enough black cavendish to give a hint of unflavored sweetness. I like thinking of "Scottish Blends" as having that flavor profile, but it then certainly leaves others like Blairgowrie out of the mix.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I enjoy both RR and Black Mallory. I definitely find the Black Mallory to be more latakia forward than the RR. I originally happened upon BM as a potential MM965 replacement when we all thought those Dunhill blends were going away. I'm not claiming it to be a match, but it's of the same ilk; latakia forward English blend with enough black cavendish to give a hint of unflavored sweetness. I like thinking of "Scottish Blends" as having that flavor profile, but it then certainly leaves others like Blairgowrie out of the mix.
Good to know I’ve cracked the RR but I’m looking for the most oriental forward , my Latometer is pinned at the moment. Any suggestions are welcomed preferably without Cavendish , thanks in advance …