PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Any stamping that reveals brand, nation of origin, or anything else? I've snagged some good pipes out of baskets, two that turned out to be unfinished Savinelli's, a yacht and a billiard, that have deepened in color so they look stained and polished, without any products being used on them, polish nor wax.

Anything that the shop owner wants to move at a moderate price can go into the basket, from rather rough crafted pieces to some fine medium priced brands.

Yours looks like a briar Calabash with the brim arching up from the top of the bowl, which is often a good shape for balance and an ample chamber. I'd guess the stem is acrylic from the bright reflections. The rustication looks artfully done.

dctune

Part of the Furniture Now
Any stamping that reveals brand, nation of origin, or anything else? I've snagged some good pipes out of baskets, two that turned out to be unfinished Savinelli's, a yacht and a billiard, that have deepened in color so they look stained and polished, without any products being used on them, polish nor wax.

Anything that the shop owner wants to move at a moderate price can go into the basket, from rather rough crafted pieces to some fine medium priced brands.

Yours looks like a briar Calabash with the brim arching up from the top of the bowl, which is often a good shape for balance and an ample chamber. I'd guess the stem is acrylic from the bright reflections. The rustication looks artfully done.
It just caught my eye immediately in the barrel. I thought about it for a couple minutes. But I knew there was zero chance i was walking out of that store without this pipe.

As for make, in the top pic you can zoom in and see “G. Mineto.” Another reply mentioned this is a Greek pipe maker.

For some reason the pix I posted look blurry until you click on them. Once you click and enlarge, you can see the name clearly.

It’s a great looking pipe. Can’t wait to smoke it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 8

dctune

like it though the verb snagged makes me imagine you going up to the counter telling the person at the counter there is a monster behind them. Grabbing the pipe while yelling "Yoink" and then running away.
I really hope that's not what you meant.
Oh, I SNAGGED it. Then pulled out my silver “pen,” pushed the button, & made them forget everything they had seen.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
I’ll let you know. Phone ringing off the hook all day, emails pinging as soon as I hang the phone up. Haven’t had time to do anything else but work so far.
This'll solve that! Just show your boss:

"Dear dctune's boss:
The Pipes Magazine Forum, in their wisdom, has decided that dctune requires the rest of the day off to examine and enjoy his new pipe. We thank you for your cooperation.
Sincerely,
The Forum"

dctune

This'll solve that! Just show your boss:

"Dear dctune's boss:
The Pipes Magazine Forum, in their wisdom, has decided that dctune requires the rest of the day off to examine and enjoy his new pipe. We thank you for your cooperation.
Sincerely,
The Forum"
Greatly appreciated, but… I own the business.

dctune

That explains why it is such a nice pipe. Usually "basket" pipes are not in that price range or quality. p.s. We're all still wondering how she smokes. puffy
All the basket pipes at Schwab’s are $55+ tax. A little pricey IMO…unless I find ones I like.

At any rate, finally got around to lighting beauty up. Enjoying it as I type. Draws super easy. Smokes fabulously. Tastes…eh…like a first bowl, of course. But that will improve. Fits the hand like a glove. I’d say it’s over-performing for a basket pipe. I’m very pleased.

Attachments

• 54261C32-1F36-48B1-A5AD-812E04DA47F0.jpeg
    54261C32-1F36-48B1-A5AD-812E04DA47F0.jpeg
    82.3 KB · Views: 2

dctune

Update: based on the initial dry draw right after purchase, I honestly didn’t expect this pipe to smoke THIS WELL! It felt a little tighter than I prefer. Got about 1/4 bowl left. Once the heat hit it (I guess???), this thing has opened up beautifully. It’s silky smooth. Smokes better than my Savinelli and my Nording. Hope this trend continues!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
All the basket pipes at Schwab’s are $55+ tax. A little pricey IMO…unless I find ones I like.
That's not bad. They were once primarily Calabresi and Savinelli seconds and have only increased in price by $20 since the early 2000s.

Reactions: dctune