PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chalaw87

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2021
Northeast TN
How much is too much tobacco in regards to cellaring tobacco?

Now I realize this is a very subjective question, so Im more or less just looking for some opinions on the matter.

Ive accumulated waayyy more tobacco than I had ever planned on cellaring. I have a fear of missing out, so Im admittedly a sucker for 'limited release' and seasonal blends. I almost feel like Im collecting tobacco tins like kids collect baseball cards, but Im assuming Im not the only one.

Thanks for the insights. Yall are great.

Last edited by a moderator:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Too much is how much I have, and I don't have a ton. I'm a moderate smoker, a bowl a day, right now somewhat less. And I don't buy in quantity, but seem to buy decidedly more than I smoke, over time. I splurged on two tins of C&D Eight State Burley when it was reissued about six months ago. I'll buy two or three bulk blends at a time. I have quite a few unopened tins, and seven-ounce tins and 14 once tubs in waiting.

So definitely too much, including some Dunhill and McClelland branded tins. I know Forums lives on advertisers who rely on our steady purchase of blends and pipes, so I hold back from encouraging people to refrain from buying pipe tobacco. However, sometimes the best blend you can smoke is already on the shelf.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I did the numbers and determined I smoke at least 10 pounds per year maybe as much as 12; I wanted a 20 plus year cellar so I just needed to add up how many pounds I needed for how long I would live and built my cellar in just about 1 year. I have added some over the years so I should be good for another 20 years which will last longer than me. My kids will make a killing on what is left.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It's never enough. My Spreadsheet of unopened (not counting jars and opened tins) is slightly above 600. it feels like tobacco companies are treating it like the 90's comic book industry and putting out a limited blend every 2-3 weeks. If they start doing special cromium covers we will know the balloon popped.
They've had variant labels in the past.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
You're correct that any answer will be subjective. I cellared to have blends that I like available to me when I want to smoke them. Blends and blenders have a way of disappearing without warning. I also cellared against a time when online purchasing would be outlawed, or prices raised. Aging wasn't really much of a consideration, but it has happened as a consequence of buying more than I smoked. I probably have a 12 year supply, which is likely to outlast me. So I've stopped buying tobaccos.

REF61

Lurker
Oct 20, 2022
How much is too much tobacco in regards to cellaring tobacco?

Now I realize this is a very subjective question, so Im more or less just looking for some opinions on the matter.

Ive accumulated waayyy more tobacco than I had ever planned on cellaring. I have a fear of missing out, so Im admittedly a sucker for 'limited release' and seasonal blends. I almost feel like Im collecting tobacco tins like kids collect baseball cards, but Im assuming Im not the only one.

Thanks for the insights. Yall are great.
Im getting in the same situation.I resorting to storing Jars under the eaves in my basement.I figure I can justify it by saying I wont be able to hoard tobacco when I retire and I dont want to ever be in the situation where Im running out.I would still like to have a 20 year supply left when I kick the bucket.