Jim's C&D Warped: Scarecrow 2022 Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
It goes on sale this Friday, Sept. 30 at 9 a.m. at Smoking Pipes.

The only difference I notice in this version as opposed to the 2021 release is that the matured white burley seems to be a notch more potent. As I note in the next paragraph, it is slightly more of a competitor for the lead rather than just being a supporting player as it previously was. This very lightly reduces the sweet fruit and sugar content of the red Virginia cavendish. Otherwise, this review is close what I wrote last year with the noted differences.

The 2017 and 2019 red and red/orange Virginia cavendish mix provides a lot of tart and tangy citrus, grass, bread, sugar, some tangy dark fruit, earth, wood, floralness, vegetation, light sour vinegar, and a pinch or two of spice. They are the lead components. The strong year 2014 matured white burley offers a lot of earth, wood, some nuts, sour sharp roughness, cocoa, and a small spice note. It almost competes for the lead. The aspects of the air cured 2014 dark burley are earth, wood, nuts, sugar and light molasses. It’s close behind the white burley in the proceedings. The sugary black cavendish isn’t very noticeable. The port wine, mild vanilla, caramel and light chocolate toppings slightly more than moderately tone down the tobaccos. The strength is a slot short of the center of medium to strong. The nic-hit is medium. The taste level is in that center. There’s no chance of bite or harshness. though it does sport a few small rough edges. This mildly moist crumble kake easily breaks apart to suit your preference, and as per my custom, I did not dry it. Well balanced, complex and deeply rich, it burns cool, clean, and slow with a very consistent sweet and sour, nutty, wine, fruity, rather punchy flavors. Leaves little moisture in the bowl. Requires some relights. Has a pleasantly long lingering after taste. The tolerable room note is a little stronger than last year’s version. Not an all day smoke. Four stars.

Last edited:

Tabacco

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2020
GA - USA
I have ordered few tins based on this review, thanks.
I had never had Warped pipe tobaccos but few months ago I wanted to try what was available at SP and while I did not like The Red Hunt very much I really enjoyed Kings Stride and Cloud Hopper and ended up buying some more.

Val

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 18, 2019
I love it but with the price increase, I'll not be buying more.
Understandable, I picked up a few because I remember how good you said it was last year and it was sold out by the time I went to grab a couple. Jiminks says it’s almost identical so I’m excited to try it.

Reactions: Chasing Embers