PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sam Gamgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
(I did a search and didn't see a thread like this, so I thought it might be a fun topic.)

I'm a big fan of Lewis. His writings have had a huge impact on my life and thinking. The Narnia stories and THAT HIDEOUS STRENGTH are books I go back to over and over again.

I've seen all the documentaries about Lewis and have read many of the biographies. Pipe-smoking comes up now and again but never in any detail. I've been able to gather that Lewis smoked Three Nuns, but I'm not sure what kind of pipes he smoked, or if this knowledge is even available. I remember in one of the Narnia stories a character (pretty sure it was Trumpkin the Dwarf, but memory isn't serving well at the moment) loses a pipe and laments over it due to it being "an old favorite." Picking up what I have of Lewis the man via his writings and what others have written about him, I doubt he would have fussed much over brand names: but I'm sure he had favorite pipes that he reached for more often than others.

This was a time when smoking a pipe was just something that men did on a daily basis, and I'm pretty sure a brotherhood built around smokers would have been a very foreign concept to people of the time. It was a very different world.

In this famous pic it's fun to notice how his pipes are just lying about in no particular order. I'd be willing to bet they never got cleaned either. He was said to have a slovenly appearance and didn't take much care over things like neatness, so it's hard to imagine him taking the time to clean pipes. I bet he lost them more times than not.

I've often wondered if he had a favorite tobacco shop he'd stop in to get his tobacco and new pipes when needed. Back then I'm sure there were many tobacco shops to choose from, as well as pipes and tobacco being sold at stalls in train stations, etc. A much different world for sure. It sure would have been fun to experience such a time!

Attachments

• lewispipes1.jpg
    lewispipes1.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 109
  • lewispipes2.jpg
    lewispipes2.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 110

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
If you use the search bar on this forum for C.S.Lewis ... you will find several threads and comments on his pipe preferences... I think someone once actually went to a museum or library and saw some collection about him and his pipes. I think I read that he his jacket or coat had to be repaired because he had the habit of putting a lit pipe in his pocket and burning holes in his jacket. I believe he smoked Three Nuns, Capstan, a favorite was Gold block. I have always preferred Tolkien to Lewis in regards to writing style but Screwtape Letters is very funny in parts.

Here's an article from Smokingpipes.com (a site sponsor) on him:

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
I have always preferred Tolkien to Lewis in regards to writing style but Screwtape Letters is very funny in parts.
They are certainly much different writers, stylistically and content-wise, but I love them both and read them both regularly. Tolkien's prose hits me very differently than that of Lewis, but they both contain a depth and beauty that is hard to describe. Each of them were important parts of my own education, and each had a hand in waking up my long-dormant imagination when I was in my early 30s.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
They are certainly much different writers, stylistically and content-wise, but I love them both and read them both regularly. Tolkien's prose hits me very differently than that of Lewis, but they both contain a depth and beauty that is hard to describe. Each of them were important parts of my own education, and each had a hand in waking up my long-dormant imagination when I was in my early 30s.
I often (summertime) re-read The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, and have since my teen years a long time ago, for relaxation. I recommend the Letters of Tolkien to you for insight into how truly brilliant Tolkien's mind was and quite prophetic about power and today's times. I should probably read some other Lewis books but I started the chronicles of Narnia in grammar school and had to put it down ... the condescending style was too much for me. They both wanted to write because they couldn't find anything they liked to read ... I always thought that was brilliant in itself. So ... order some Capstan Blue or Three Nuns or Gold Block, load up that Peterson and 'have at it' as Sam Gamgee would say !!! (P.S. Tolkien felt Sam Gamgee was the most important character in his work because he represents the everyman (us) trying to survive and do good in the world.)

1664467321607.png

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
If you use the search bar on this forum for C.S.Lewis ... you will find several threads and comments on his pipe preferences... I think someone once actually went to a museum or library and saw some collection about him and his pipes. I think I read that he his jacket or coat had to be repaired because he had the habit of putting a lit pipe in his pocket and burning holes in his jacket. I believe he smoked Three Nuns, Capstan, a favorite was Gold block. I have always preferred Tolkien to Lewis in regards to writing style but Screwtape Letters is very funny in parts.

This bit ought to be comforting to newbies who struggle to get the hang of pipe smoking!

Como continues with another observation regarding Lewis' pipe smoking: "He would listen to your essay intently, while smoking his pipe, or rather constantly relighting it. I have never seen a man keep a pipe going for so short a while or use so many matches in relighting it."

n_irwin

Can't Leave
Apr 15, 2022
Oklahoma, USA
I have been re-reading the Chronicles of Narnia lately and have been delighted to do so. And when I say re-reading, I mean that this time around I am listening to the audio recordings with my kids. Each time I read the stories, there is something new that stands out and resonates with my current situation. The stories are so rich in allegory and symbolism.

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
I often (summertime) re-read The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, and have since my teen years a long time ago, for relaxation. I recommend the Letters of Tolkien to you for insight into how truly brilliant Tolkien's mind was and quite prophetic about power and today's times. I should probably read some other Lewis books but I started the chronicles of Narnia in grammar school and had to put it down ... the condescending style was too much for me. They both wanted to write because they couldn't find anything they liked to read ... I always thought that was brilliant in itself. So ... order some Capstan Blue or Three Nuns or Gold Block, load up that Peterson and 'have at it' as Sam Gamgee would say !!! (P.S. Tolkien felt Sam Gamgee was the most important character in his work because he represents the everyman (us) trying to survive and do good in the world.)

View attachment 171832
Thank you for the recommendation on Tolkien's letters; I've not read them. I have read many of Lewis's letters (and a book of his hero, George MacDonald's letters) and they are as rich as anything else he wrote. I have to say that I had a much different experience with Lewis's Chronicles. I detected no condescending tone, nor did I ever feel talked down to: but what I discovered were some of the most beautiful stories ever written. And all this coming from someone who read these books for the first time in his early 30s. THE HORSE AND HIS BOY remains my favorite story of all time. Shasta's encounter with the stranger on his walk in the woods is the single most beautiful thing I've ever encountered in literature. If you've not tried those books in a while, I would at least recommend you give Horse/Boy a shot again.

I don't really have a favorite character in the LOTR, but I do have a strong connection to the Hobbits and their ways, and I really love Sam in particular.

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas

Thanks for the link to this wonderful article. I wasn't able to find much via the search feature and gave up after several pages. This will make for some run reading. Much appreciated.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Thank you for the recommendation on Tolkien's letters; I've not read them. I have read many of Lewis's letters (and a book of his hero, George MacDonald's letters) and they are as rich as anything else he wrote. I have to say that I had a much different experience with Lewis's Chronicles. I detected no condescending tone, nor did I ever feel talked down to: but what I discovered were some of the most beautiful stories ever written. And all this coming from someone who read these books for the first time in his early 30s. THE HORSE AND HIS BOY remains my favorite story of all time. Shasta's encounter with the stranger on his walk in the woods is the single most beautiful thing I've ever encountered in literature. If you've not tried those books in a while, I would at least recommend you give Horse/Boy a shot again.

I don't really have a favorite character in the LOTR, but I do have a strong connection to the Hobbits and their ways, and I really love Sam in particular.
“Sam is an excellent fellow, and would jump down a dragon’s throat to save you, if he did not trip over his own feet.”

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
Side note: GK Chesterton is another incredible writer from the same general era. A personal hero of mine and shaped a lot of my thought and reasoning.
With any of these three guys, I swear if you didn't know any better you reason they were living today with the subject mater that in all honesty is repeating itself in today's worlds going on's.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Side note: GK Chesterton is another incredible writer from the same general era. A personal hero of mine and shaped a lot of my thought and reasoning.
With any of these three guys, I swear if you didn't know any better you reason they were living today with the subject mater that in all honesty is repeating itself in today's worlds going on's.
1664668000227.png What he said !!! +1 :sher: 😁

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
It's nice to see Chesterton mentioned here. I discovered him (and George MacDonald, whom Chesterton also loved and admired) through C.S. Lewis. I find Chesterton much harder to read than Lewis but have managed to read Orthodoxy a few times, and a handful of his other books. About a dozen or so years ago I happened upon the EWTN television show dedicated to Chesterton and have been watching it ever since (I have all the seasons on DVD). The host, Dale Ahlquist, is a brilliant man and presents Chesterton in a very entertaining and educational way. I can't recommend that show highly enough. A plus is that there are pipe-smokers in many of the skits.