PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
@Chaukisch Do you think these fit my description of "Clay King"???
Which of these do you think sounds most like "Clay King"???
I think the Sutliff J6 Golden Cavendish is the closest match but contains burley. However, I believe Burley was around in the 17th / 18th Century. However, "Clay King" does NOT contain Latakia...
This undoubtedly deserves its own thread, but I think any blend containing flue-cured "Virginia" or Burley would be out. Both of those are 19th century developments if I'm not mistaken. You'd probably want something that is all air- or fire-cured. puffy

Chaukisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
UK tobacco packaging has become too PC these days; I notice American blends aren't plastered with such extreme health warnings...
I get that it's easy to simply just include every tobacco product but with pipe tobacco specifically this is absolute nonsense. Give it a decade and they'll stamp warnings right into the briar.
Hope we get to see your old clay again soon...
I would swap the baccy into a leather tobacco pouch or antique jar myself.
Leather pouch and a decorative jar is definitely on my buy list somewhere at the bottom.
The reused glass jars work plenty fine for now and replacements are basically wasted money that I could've used for new tobac or even food. I gotta set harsh priorities.
Is the SG Black Forest another real life "Clay King" then?
It has the Cavendish, Virginia and even honey. If I had to choose one out of those you linked, this would be it.
I even want to get a tin myself, the description sounds really good to me.

OT:
A humble offering to the King: Sweet Virginia in clay on a mellow yellow platter.

20220919_175957 - Copy.jpg

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
I get that it's easy to simply just include every tobacco product but with pipe tobacco specifically this is absolute nonsense. Give it a decade and they'll stamp warnings right into the briar.

Leather pouch and a decorative jar is definitely on my buy list somewhere at the bottom.
The reused glass jars work plenty fine for now and replacements are basically wasted money that I could've used for new tobac or even food. I gotta set harsh priorities.

It has the Cavendish, Virginia and even honey. If I had to choose one out of those you linked, this would be it.
I even want to get a tin myself, the description sounds really good to me.

OT:
A humble offering to the King: Sweet Virginia in clay on a mellow yellow platter.

View attachment 170147
@Chaukisch Looks great - I'd smoke that clay pipe of Sweet Virginia. What's the leaf under the pipe?
I like your treasure chest:)
Would this Virginia leaf be a good basis for my "Clay King" creation???
It seems that SG Black Forest is the real "Clay King"; I can't believe I found a real life baccy that meets the criteria of my fabled "Clay King"!

Ag®o

Lifer
Nov 14, 2021
Italy
I was considering saving this to smoke on the occasion of my birthday in February 2023, but, decided it was too special a gift to wait so long, and decided to run with the theme of gifted pipes I would smoke this weekend. I started with the anniversary present from Susan (the porcelain Royal Copenhagen designed by Jørn Micke).

Forum member, @Ag®o , made this beautiful pipe for me by hand (without a lathe!) It arrived on Friday, from Italy and I couldn’t wait to share it here—with people who would genuinely appreciate it. Ag®o was aware of my love of squat Bulldogs and Rhodesians, and in his design, included his appreciation of ancient Etruscan oil lamps he remembered his father rescuing from the sea.

View attachment 170108

Being an artist, I loved the idea of art history getting incorporated into a pipe, and the idea of old and new converging. The concave face and the underside would show off the Birdseye grain of the pipe.

So, I’m going to have Esoterica Penzance (2021) in what we are calling an Etruscan-Rhodesian with a Gold Band and Hand-cut Stem.

View attachment 170100

View attachment 170106

I love how the concentric circles (and the Ag®o logo on the band) echo the round oil lamp face of the top of the pipe—it’s a wonderful accent and detail on a pipe I am grateful to have and will always treasure.

View attachment 170103

View attachment 170104

Thank you, my friend. My only hope is that the gift I make for you in return will give you as much joy as this pipe does me.

❤️
Dear Jeff, thank you so much for the nice and kind words.
Talking about our ideas on this or that particular, it was really nice, fun and constructive.
My goal is in your fun with it, enjoy it my friend!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
A quarter of the way through this bowl of year 2014 Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in a 2014 Basil Meadows smooth slight bend squashed tomato with an aluminum band and a black pearl acrylic stem in the military mount style. Ice water and bergs is my drink. Watching Mad Dog Russo.
Basil_squashed_ tomato copy.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Enjoyed a tasty lunch, and am not far from finishing this bowl of first release Watch City Rouxgaroux in a smooth medium bend 2021 Peterson POTY Natural 4AB No. 6/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. Larry's El Salvador Dali, neat, is my drink.
4AB_Nat_left.jpg

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Capstan Blue in my Savinelli 313. I cube-cut most of the bowl, but left a little more room on top for rubbed-out ribbons to get the party started:

313_capstan_919.jpg

Other minutiae: I just invested in some 4oz "jelly" jars for samples and baccies (like flakes) that don't take up as much room. I also read a recommendation to use matches when smoking Virginias. It does seem to help keep the heat down when lighting/re-lighting, but whether that means matches are superior, or just counteracting poor technique on my part remains to be seen...

Status
Not open for further replies.