PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I have a book which is the war diary of Lt. Charles Springer of the 12th Missouri United States cavalry on it’s 1865 campaign against the Sioux in the same Powder River country of Montana the 7th Cavalry was so famously defeated 11 years later.

I’m eternally grateful my great grandfather, who rode with the hind guard troop at Broadus Montana with the 12th Missouri that his commanders equipped him with a Spencer rifle and supported him with artillery. Otherwise I’d never been hatched.:)

There were 272 cavalry regiments in the United States Army in May 1865 and they sent the 12th Missouri out west to fight Red Cloud, Sitting Bull and Roman Nose.

Fresh from one of the most lopsided victories in the Great Rebellion at Nashville, the 12th Missouri cavalry was a battle hardened, experienced, crack cavalry regiment entirely made up of dark horse Missouri volunteers, and when Lt Springer writes that he’s carrying a “sweet briar root” to carve himself a pipe, that most probably is the same briar root our pipes today are carved from. Springer writes of smoking sage brush, when tobacco ran out. He had a pipe but it wasn’t briar.

After the disastrous cold snap the night of September 8-9 that killed half the remaining mounts, Springer’s diary reveals their thoughts were then only of retreat to the safety of the nearest fort.

But if Springer finished his briar pipe, it likely would have been a paneled pipe.

Our paneled pipes today are fancy, but a man with no lathe would whittle out a paneled pipe first, and might test it to see how it smoked, and quit winner, and not keep whittling.

• Love
Reactions: Chaukisch

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
This Six Panel Marxman is a unique Marxman to be sure. Unlike many of the Marxman Pipes one normally sees where either crude rustication is used, or a carving of a person or animal dominates, this Marxman uses a deeper stain and the Six Panels to bring together a rather handsome pipe. It also has a saddle stem. Unfortunately, in attempting to create a larger draft hole in the bit, I totally broke it. The good news is that I was able to repair it to the point where it is truly as good as new. In hindsight, because I really do enjoy this pipe so much, I should have had a new stem made altogether and refitted the aluminum band onto the new stem.

IMG_6266.jpegIMG_6265.jpeg

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I've had more over the years but at present I'm down to two.

Something you don't see every day, a group 1 Northern Briars (Regal).
This thing weighs a hair over 15g.
4D4C4440-EF3F-48CA-B401-B234D49A3EAF.jpeg

Jumping back to this side of the Atlantic, albeit Southern hemisphere - A MarTelo panel - sandblast with yellow bakelite stem. By far my favorite stem in my collection. It feels stupendous.
I had been talking to Gus about a commission for a few days when this popped up on SP. it was fate, and Gus understood.
06032250-5B37-432B-AB2E-81B43D34135C.jpeg

I sold this older Kaywoodie Thorn some time ago (regret), but pics of it were right beside pics of the above Northern Briar.
40A0E908-0CAE-4318-94AA-203CF5D1C5C5.jpeg

Edit: Just realized I had already posted in this thread lol. Oh well. More the merrier.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I've had more over the years but at present I'm down to two.

Something you don't see every day, a group 1 Northern Briars (Regal).
This thing weighs a hair over 15g.
View attachment 199571

Jumping back to this side of the Atlantic, albeit Southern hemisphere - A MarTelo panel - sandblast with yellow bakelite stem. By far my favorite stem in my collection. It feels stupendous.
I had been talking to Gus about a commission for a few days when this popped up on SP. it was fate, and Gus understood.
View attachment 199576

I sold this older Kaywoodie Thorn some time ago (regret), but pics of it were right beside pics of the above Northern Briar.
View attachment 199574

Edit: Just realized I had already posted in this thread lol. Oh well. More the merrier.
😂I just posted a picture of that 54 in the KW thread last night. 😉 love that pipe.

Reactions: bluegrassbrian
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
A foursome of four squares. L-R 1. Lacroix Veritable ⭐⭐️ 2. KW 100 Anniversary Blast 3.Paul’s Cayuga Oil Cured Blast 4. Amphora X-tra Blast580F2CC2-4E1E-43B5-8F65-10D86F19EE4F.jpeg
An odd couple… Two Mincer era Custombilts, one a monster the other a baby. 252F5B62-810D-4974-B57D-E9FC169164DD.jpeg
I’m not even sure what shape to call this. It’s a calabashy kinda Dubliny kinda Oom Pauly bent thing. But it’s paneled.73611B53-143A-45E3-9680-985046F572AC.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Toast

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
A bit of a rabbit hole dive, but possibly interesting for panel lovers.

An early Ashton that came out of the shop with a number of problems, and was then "re-manufactured" to a higher standard.

The "pattern" pipe is a Savinelli Golden Jubilee 515 KS:

(if shop stuff isn't your thing, jump straight to the last vid for still shots of the final result)