PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I realize the majority opinion is that Mediterranean briar isn’t some magical wood sent down from heaven above for our pleasure. I know that in theory briar is just a hardwood, and that it has no soul, as we do. But still yet I cling to the fond hope, that each piece of briar is magical, individual and unique, and that each one gives us pleasure until the day comes, the poor briar is worn out, and can no longer serve us.

Awhile back I won three pipes for $9 each, and each one had a cake the thickness of a dime, and showed signs the owner had smoked them for thousands upon thousands of smokes.

And after three separate Everclear and sea salt treatments this poor tired old Star Grade Lee is simply worn out, in the service of man.

While it’s bit and even it’s rim are still sharp, and it’s enjoyed extraordinary care, no longer does it add zest and flavor to any tobacco smoked in it.

The tars and juices from tobacco have saturated the briar, enlarging and cracking the shank, and darkening it as surely as it would be if it were made of meerschaum.

And while it still can serve to smoke tobacco as it did ten thousand or more bowls ago, the soul in this Lee is no more. In comparison with every other Star Grade Lee I own, this one imparts nothing to the flavor of the smoke.

It’s time to retire this one, because it’s race has run, and it can serve no more.

C79A53DA-EB73-4918-A2D2-15C8737FE4CC.jpeg
B82FA73C-134E-4B61-9C48-9DCA59C45831.jpeg69189100-6ED5-4538-8D49-2B05489A0F79.jpegB80EBB02-82A8-4D06-8845-F8372A14188F.jpeg8E1A9BD9-AFD8-4FB8-A8F1-C3D0AB2680D3.jpeg
I’ve seen plenty of other pipes abused to death, but I think this is the first one I’ve seen, that’s simply worn out.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I see nothing there that an ozone treatment and a band couldn't fix. The object of breaking in a pipe is to remove any flavors from the smoke except those of the smoke. That one still has decades of use ahead of it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The crack in the shank seems like the worst problem, and that is often addressed with a band, plain or fancy. The rest is just elbow grease, if you choose to apply it. If you don't want it, some one of the pipe restorers on this site would probably like a crack at it, for sport, and to save it from the landfill. It looks like there is a lot of briar and Vulcanite to work with.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The darkening is almost certainly a deliberate thing, done by waving over a flame.

Use does not "saturate briar" until it's black.

And the shank split is either from dropping or sustained outward pressure by the tenon on a weak area of wood. It has nothing to do with swelling from saturation.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
The darkening is almost certainly a deliberate thing, done by waving over a flame.

Use does not "saturate briar" until it's black.

And the shank split is either from dropping or sustained outward pressure by the tenon on a weak area of wood. It has nothing to do with swelling from saturation.
Could the darkening be from handling, such as with greasy hands (or just the natural oils from skin) and failure to clean?

I have a blue Savinelli Arcobaleno that is fading where I hold it (and no, I'm not generally greasy). I tried to post an older picture of the pipe, but am having technical difficulties.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Could the darkening be from handling, such as with greasy hands (or just the natural oils from skin) and failure to clean?

I have a blue Savinelli Arcobaleno that is fading where I hold it (and no, I'm not generally greasy). I tried to post an older picture of the pipe, but am having technical difficulties.

That sort of darkening does happen, but has two "signature" tells. 1) The coverage is uneven; and 2) the heavily touched areas are heavily polished, not matte.

Here's an example:

PA074315.JPG

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
It doesn't have a soul, it is an inanimate object. Have it professionally restored and banded or not.

As for: "I realize the majority opinion is that Mediterranean briar isn’t some magical wood sent down from heaven above for our pleasure." No, there is no such thing as magic. But I thought mediterranean briar was the preferred pipe briar for ages.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Nonsense, this is a worn out pipe! That old boy of yours has still got thick walls and with a little super glue, some sanding and polishing it would still be a good smoker. Some Lakeland blends will smoke the ghosts out of it. Of course I'm slightly insane but I do love a challenge! 🤪

View attachment 166894

No.

It’s obviously the tars and juices from thousands upon thousands of smokes.

Even the shank has swollen and cracked from zillions of smokes.

There were three pipes, all three heavily used, all three tar saturated, all three with carefully reamed cakes the “thickness of a dime”.

And in the very bottom of each bowl was bare, brown briar.

None were rancid, all were spotlessly clean. The rims and bits on all three were perfect. These pipes were used, not abused.

The average pipe smoker today, is a pipe enthusiast. He probably is addicted to nicotine, but he rotates and rests his pipes.

This pipe has been smoked to death.

It has a neutral flavor, when compared to a fresher one like we are all used to.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
It’s obviously the tars and juices from thousands upon thousands of smokes.

Even the shank has swollen and cracked from zillions of smokes.

There were three pipes, all three heavily used, all three tar saturated, all three with carefully reamed cakes the “thickness of a dime”.

Sorry, but an erroneous, uninformed conclusion that's then "defended" by repetitious declarations demonstrating strength of belief is as absurd with pipes as it is anything else.

"I saw an light in the sky! Aliens from Eridanus IV are coming to kill us all!"

Um, no.

And repeating it does not make it so.

Since you planned on retiring the pipe anyway, saw the bowl in half. Side-to-side, axially, it doesn't matter. Then post a pic of the pieces. The wood will show darkening for a couple millimeters around the chamber wall, and otherwise will look entirely new and untouched. Guaranteed.

Briar does NOT split from "absorbing tars and juices" and turn uniformly black from heavy smoking.